107 today!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kareninthesun, Sep 8, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Poor chickies. So hot the big girls didnt care what mischeif the chicks got into. The chicks stuck in the shade of the outside of the coop. The others either under the lemon grass, snail plants or artichokes. They stayed off the patio, guess the cement was too hot. Left the mister on all day close to the lemon grass, and every once in a while they'd brave through it, then decide it wasnt such a bad thing. Im probably doing a no-no, but when settling them down at nightfall in the coop, putting a lot of water in there to keep em hydrated.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    And still, I think I'm the only spot in the US who's not getting baked. Was 80 here today, which is a little hotter than normal for us, but nothing serious. The girls did indeed drink a lot though. And they had a LOT of watermelon. [​IMG]

All summer has been pretty cool, but just now, the watermelons in the greenhouse are ripening just at the perfect moment when the temps are actually "warm."

3. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Can I have yall's weather? It's been cold here and i can't stand it this early. The chicks, pullets, and everyone else didn't like it much either.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Its 59 here now... Brrrr!

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Been chilly here too. Hurts my hands.[​IMG]

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    It got up to 95 here in Portland today. My girls are nestled up to their frozen milk jugs for the night and I have the freezer pack ready to slip under the nest in the morning after I turn on their fan and refresh the water with ice cubes, open the shade umbrellas and dispense the frozen watermelon. Spoiled no?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So cold here I have to dig out the pants!Worse part is I accidently left a hen outside on her own all night.Poor thing freezing all night. I am sad winter is coming.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    me and my girls are glad to see highs in the 70's lows in the 50's. Its been a long hot summer and I have 2 broodies right now so am glad its finally cooled off. I am sorry for the people that still have the heat. I'm not looking forward to winter. I'm afraid its going to be a cold one.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    That 43 the other morning was too cold for me! It got up into the 80s yesterday, I loved it!! Funny how by March or April a high of 43 will be a beautiful day...

10. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Our year average is 74, but its been an abnormal year. Much of what i grow requires a lot of direct sun, ll
    ike the tomates. This is the first year where I've dedicated a large area for various hot peppers including nine of the 10 hottest peppers in the world. Normally they'd do well cause they need very hugh temps with direct sun as ling as i hoik en ibti a misting system for humidity, but uo until about a month ago the temps were staying well below what they needed. They grew slow, and nearly all blossoms fell off. Now they are going crazy. Even with the mellower of the ghost chilis i have to wear gloves to pick them. And in the other plot of mellow peppers, they are all hot (and i can handle heat). Even the banana peppers. Gonna have to dry out many, but will end up with tons of seeds. Kinda interesting that although these are toxic to chickens, and they naturally will not injest them, of all the stuff growing, these along with two very large lemon grasses and snail plants is their prefered places to kick back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by