108 in incubator!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jakrzz, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    So I had a stable temp of 99 last night when I checked at 10 pm. But when I checked this morning, the water all evaporated and the temp was 108!!! Will this kill my eggs it's only their second day in the incubator. It was 108 I'm assuming for five hours, it's back to 99 now

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    High temperatures in the first 3 days of incubation are one of the leading causes of early embryo death. I really can't say for sure whether your eggs are still alive...108 is really high. But I wouldn't lose hope. Wait until the eggs are 7 days old, and then candle them for any signs of life.

3. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    As advised above I wouldn't lose hope although 42.2 (108 C) is high. However I checked my incubator a few times throughout their 21 days and two or three times, including once within the last week I found the temperature to be 40 C BUT there was still water in the tray. I did have a low hatch rate with only currently nine of the 27 hatching, and one of those nine had to 'take early retirement', but eight survived.

I've heard lots of different scenarios where conditions have not being the most suitable during the incubation period - some you would think would end the process all together, but where the eggs went on to hatch at a good rate.

I'd stick with it and see what happens. Good luck and let us know how you get on [​IMG]

4. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Well thank you both for the info. and i have read success and horror stories with high temps. I really hope they turn out all good! I got 9 in there now! I'm going to candle them at day 7 and hope that most of them have made it!
    My eggs are barred rock crossed with RIR, BR crossed White Leghorn, BR crossed Brown Leghorn, and BR Crossed with white&brown leghorn hybrid!

5. barra060

barra060 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    I think I have had worse. I posted my dilemma on the incubator temp with my novice experience. What I would look at is the actual temp of the egg if it happens again. Usually you'll notice it will be like an oven - the air temp is high, but the actual temp of the food is much lower. When it happened to me, I used a handheld infrared thermometer ( the kind that has a built in laser for pointing) and checking the temp on the eggs in several places showed the actual core temp was quite lower. I'll know in about a week if it was detrimental, as they are due next fri/sat.

6. adiekaty

adiekaty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    This happened to me last week, steady tmps all fertile eggs, babies growing, day 18, Woke up to the the effin temp spiked ...110!!! I lost 18 babies, including 9 Seramas.. I was devastated! I'm trying agin, with a new incubator and eggs that were shipped.. Fingers crossed. I have no idea, how long my temp was that high. Good luck.. maybe your temp wasn't that high for very long!

7. barra060

Aug 15, 2013
    For an update I had a temp spike to around 108-110 about day 9-10 I believe. It was for around a couple hours, but I immediately opened the bator to let them cool off. The max temp I saw on the eggs I checked was around 102.5 on one side but the other side was around 99. Candled them tonite (day 17) and the chicken eggs are nearly black and the quail eggs I saw movement. I did lose one of the chicken eggs, and probably a couple of the quail eggs. Lockdown tomorrow. To be continued.....

8. barra060

Aug 15, 2013
    Latest news...4 chicks so far hatched, alive, and, well. I candled one of the last remaining two eggs and noticed that it is a bit slushy inside, so it gave out probably a week back and I didn't notice it. One left to go.
    [​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, it sounds like pretty good news. [​IMG] Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by