108 Today!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by robin416, Aug 15, 2007.

1. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    That in an area where the temp should be 88. I spend a lot of time outside cooling birds, supposed to have misters coming in but UPS keeps screwing up the delivery.

My Guinea hen has been off the nest all day. Makes me wonder if the extreme heat is going to affect her eggs negatively.

Warning to folks too. Yesterday I stopped at the gas station to fill up with gas. I had my gas can in the bed of the truck so I filled it also. By the time I drove the 12 miles home the plastic can was all rounded out. I pulled the filler cap off and let the pressure off the can. It was so hot that some gas even spewed out with the release of the pressure and no, I did not have the can tippy top full.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so SICK of this heat! I hate heat. If I liked the dang stuff, I'd move the Florida where all the people here came up from!! Even they couldn't take it down there in the summer-well, haha on them, they're getting it just as bad here in the mountains as they get down in that place. I'm being nasty here, but maybe, just maybe they'll go back if this keeps up. As someone I know always says, "Jes sayin'", LOL. See how cranky the heat makes me????
    Robin, I'd just die at 108. No, I'd turn on my central A/C and put the window A/C in the dang coop window!

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I feel ya! Nothing at all against northerners but they are moving here by the truck load and it's been hot hot!!! I mean the natives are even hot. You know it's hot when the southerners are hot. I told DH the U-hauls were comin in the winter but they just might be leavin this summer.

Why are people from Florida moving to GA? Well I could ask that same question about NC. [​IMG]

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Well, guess what you two, they're coming to S. TN too. Been hearing more and more about the Florida tags and gated communities. Cynthia, isn't that why I left your neck of the woods? Guess we'll end up in Montana after all. NOT!!!

Oh wait, Cyn. Remember how our Guineas love our red trucks? Guess what color the motorhome is and where its parked right now. They never said a word when Bob finally got the thing in the drive but the dogs went balistic. Guess if the power goes out we can all cram in there and hit the genny for the AC.

5. speckledhen

OMG, I remember the guineas sitting all around the bed of the truck! That picture in my mind gave me a twinge, Robin.

Trisha, if I say too much, I'm going to be in so much hot water around here, LOL! I was raised in Ga, my DH was born in Atlanta, for goodness sake, and we'd like to see a Southerner in Ga for a change. What bugs me is they live here over half the year and keep their stinking FL tags so they dont have to pay taxes on income or vehicles. AND they want all the gravel roads paved so they dont scratch up their expensive Caddies. I say if it's so gol-durn wonderful down there, why dont you go back? Either that or pay half year income tax like you ought to or move here and BLEND IN. Ok, shutting up now. [​IMG]
    Yep, blame my mood on the oven I'm living in, okay?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  6. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    Evenin Ladies
    I think the Heat is better than the Cold, my Pheasant may disagree.
    But you all are right its HOT down here.
    Remember spray your Birds, they like the water and it helps the grass

7. speckledhen

Grass? What grass? I have chickens, remember, LOL. No grass here. I have been misting the birds, giving them ice water, wetting down the run, etc. We're just trying to get through this heatwave without losing anyone and I'll count myself lucky if I do.
    I'd rather have cold and I've had both, having lived in Ohio, Utah and Colorado. I can put on more clothes, more wood on the soapstone stove, drink hot drinks, but with this heat, can't do much except laze around and you can't do that if you have chickens who may die if you don't keep them cooled down as much as possible.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:That's right I spray my birds and at the same time water the grass in the chicken yard. I think I'm one of the very few on here that has grass in their chicken yards. I'm sweatin the whole time I'm watering though. I come back in the house drippin wet because I stand out there watering myself too. [​IMG]

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    good ol global warming [​IMG]

10. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    Whoo Hoo!
    Wet Chickin Contest, Send your Pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by