10week old chicks and cold

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FullMetalMommy, Mar 19, 2017.

1. FullMetalMommy

FullMetalMommy Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Arkansas
    I know this may be a stupid question but I have five 10 week old chicks in central Arkansas and I was wondering if it'd be safe to keep them out in their coop at night? This week we are lucky and only getting a low of 48 at night (or so says my weather app for the moment). They have a full coop and such but I guess I'm being a helicopter hen, I'd hate to lose one of them.
    The picture is my son with some of the chicks so you can see their size and part of their coop in the background.
    [​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I would put a heat lamp on them at night.

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    If they have been out for a while they should be acclimating. Their body temp in a small area should keep it warm enough. If it got down to the freezing mark, then I would probably worry (I tend to be slightly neurotic about my pets.)

1 person likes this.
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hi from the northwest corner. I put 6 week old chicks in my grow-out coop a week ago, we had a night in the low 20’s since then. My grow-out coop has great ventilation up high and good breeze protection down low.

Those chicks turn seven weeks old tomorrow. I plan to let them into their run tomorrow.

At ten weeks old and what I’m seeing in my 10-day weather forecast I don’t think you have anything at all to worry about from the weather.

1 person likes this.
  5. FullMetalMommy

FullMetalMommy Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh that's good to hear from someone around the same area! Thank you Ridgerunner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by