10wk old cockerels mounting already? Chicken sitting in water?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IcarusSomnio, Jul 20, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Songster

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    My three Welsummer cockerels are mounting (or at least trying to) my Cochin banty hen. Are they really fertile already? She's laying on a regular basis now, I was wondering if the eggs are hatchable or not [​IMG]

The Cochin isn't looking ragged or anything, they usually hop on then off again.

Also, I let everyone out of the coop the other day (early morning) and when I checked on them later, the Cochin hen was sitting IN the pond! There is a little shelf-like area and she was just happily perched right there. She gave me a "What?!" look when I took her out. She seems happy and healthy, was she maybe just trying to cool off?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Wow - I've never heard of one getting in the water & not drowning!

If your roosters are mounting her they are fertile. Different breeds mature at different ages.

3. Well I know that my cockerels are mounting already and they definitely are not fertile yet. Saw one yesterday mount another. I am so glad they will be in the freezer soon I don't want that many cockerels. Just my breeder and the banty we bought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by