10wk old lavender Araucana are they boys or girls? Please help

Pics

BokBokBeginner

Songster
Oct 14, 2020
Australia
20201212_083118.jpg
:jumpyI don't know if my babies are boys or girls please help me?

Thank you I love Chilli he is the one with the tufts but I'm concerned now because I was told it is a fatal gene that causes it and I'm not sure what that means if I hatched chickens from him

Two not-tufted parents will give only not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x not-tufted gives half tufted chicks, half not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x tufted will give about 1/2 tufted chicks, 1/4 not-tufted, and 1/4 that die before hatch because they inherited the tufted gene from both parents and that is lethal.

I also see that some have crests on their heads, and some do not. I think Australian Araucanas are supposed to, but you should probably check that (I'm in the US, and I know the standard is different here.)

I hatched my first 12 only 10 weeks ago and my 2nd 6 only 5 weeks ago and as it happens Im begining to think my 2nd lot are at least 4 males also:rolleyes:

Then you'll have lots of choices when deciding which one to keep for breeding :)
It's hard when you have to choose between males that have different good traits--with that many, maybe one will be good all over.

View attachment 2451328
This is Molly
Max and Molly look so similar but molly has a pinker face same elvis style hair do but haha
Do you think molly might be a girl or do I have 3 boys?
This one is a girl I’m pretty sure. You can see she still has the pale comb and it’s smaller and not as wide too. The other two are boys I’m pretty sure. :oops:

Thank you I feel bad now because I hadn't noticed that! I have had my older 4 girls for about a year now but I hatched my first 12 only 10 weeks ago and my 2nd 6 only 5 weeks ago and as it happens Im begining to think my 2nd lot are at least 4 males also:rolleyes:
I borrowed an incubator it was a first for me but I really am falling inlove with these gorgeous birds

Two not-tufted parents will give only not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x not-tufted gives half tufted chicks, half not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x tufted will give about 1/2 tufted chicks, 1/4 not-tufted, and 1/4 that die before hatch because they inherited the tufted gene from both parents and that is lethal.

I also see that some have crests on their heads, and some do not. I think Australian Araucanas are supposed to, but you should probably check that (I'm in the US, and I know the standard is different here.)
Oh wow thank you so much for that info too. This sight is great you are also so lovely and helpful thank uou:love

Did your chicks hatch normally on day 21-22 or were they early?

If this was your first time incubating and hatching, you could inspect the feet of all these chicks, as sometimes with too high temperatures the chicks can result with crooked toes. this would then be caused by incorrect incubating and not be hereditary.
Yes they hatched on time well started to late afternoon on day 21 but it was day 22 late in the night when my last one hatched

Then you'll have lots of choices when deciding which one to keep for breeding :)
It's hard when you have to choose between males that have different good traits--with that many, maybe one will be good all over.
Yes this is true. I would like 10 girls for eggs and 2 or 3 boys for protection and company for my girls and hopefully every now and then I get a broody to keep my little feathered family going:love:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom