10x10 shed conversion suggestions plz

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by riftnreef, Nov 8, 2009.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I'm wanting to convert my 10x10' shed into a coop with a pop door and run attached. I assume many of you may have gone this route, and I'd like to get some ideas and suggestions from you. Feel free to show examples and give links...[​IMG]

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! My coop was an 8x8 kids treeless "treehouse" (up on stilts). Here's what we did...
    [​IMG]
    Here is the coop
    [​IMG]
    An interior shot
    [​IMG]
    We used 4x4 treated lumber for poles, set in concrete. Then attached the 2x4 welded wire fencing w/fencing staples
    [​IMG]
    Here's a shot of our roost and droppings board
    [​IMG]
    And the nest boxes...they're on the opposite side of the roost, about 18"off the floor, to the right of the door (looking from the outside)
    This has worked well for us. Good luck on refurbishing your shed to a coop:)

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    If possible attach your run to an end, rather than the sides, so that water doesn't run off into your run. [​IMG]

4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I will have to put mine on the side because I'm trying to make it as un-obvious as possible from the street...that being said, attaching a small length of plastic gutter and a down spout away from the run is a great idea...thanks for mentioning it...keep em comming!!!

My shed has no windows....should I put one in, or would some vents on the gable ends be enough?

5. crobi13

crobi13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Braintree, MA
    Quote:The windows offer light as well as ventilation. I would add a window if at all possible.

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have a shed as well for my coop. We did put in 2 "windows" on each side, and the wall opposite the door we put in a high ventilation opening as well. Each "window" is just a cut out that we put hardware cloth over and trim to hold the hardware cloth in place. They provide good ventilation and can be covered to close as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by