10x10x6 Kennel For Coupe/Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 303hunter, Mar 21, 2015.

1. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm thinking of buying a 10x10x6 kennel, and build a coupe off one end. It will be home for 8-10 silkies. My biggest concern is keeping flying predators out. What kind of material would be good to cover the top? I've seen the A-roof kits you can buy for these kennels, but they are covered by a tarp, and a tarp doesn't last long whey exposed to the elements. What do you recommend.

2. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    A small holed wire cloth would work well or aviary netting. I will be using a canvas tarp for my run when I get it built because it will also provide some shade and weather protection.

The aviary netting works great for the pheasant runs at the hunt club I belong to. Hawks cant get through it.

3. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    A small holed wire cloth would work well or aviary netting.  I will be using a canvas tarp for my run when I get it built because it will also provide some shade and weather protection.

The aviary netting works great for the pheasant runs at the hunt club I belong to.  Hawks cant get through it.

Hawks and owls are my main concern. We live out in the country and they are plentiful.

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    for my last run, I used dog wire over the top, my side walls were framed and hardware cloth, but I used dog wire over the top. If you're concerned with the 'holes' being too big, get some chicken wire and attach on the inside of the chain link fence and the dog wire.

5. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    We have lots of hawks, owl, and now bald eagles. The wire cloth or netting would work well on any of them.

The hardware cloth would also keep out wild birds and rodents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by