10x6 roofed with a 8x20 run

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I'm getting started on a 17'x6' roof section that was salvaged form a walk way between two builds. It's light weight power coated aluminum. Two of us can pick it up. It looks new. It was blown off in hurricane Katrina and they built new and wanted the old hauled off. It's been sitting at a friends house. He wasn't going to use it wanted me to help him take it to the dump. It looks new and told him i wanted it. I started collecting old chain link fence, treated lumber and anything that could be used for a build. I'm planning on using the old chain link in the ground so no critters can dig in. Set 4X4 poles at 10 feet. That gives me a 4 foot over hang in the back and a three foot over hang in the front. Four foot in the back to access the nesting boxes and over head dry storage bins. Three feet in the front covers the start to the 8x20 chicken run and help with keeping feed pan and dust box dry. Wrap the outside of the poles with 2x4 12 1/2gauge welded wire and inside with chick wire mesh so they can't stick their heads out of the 10 x 6 walk in yard. The roof set at 6'. I'm 5'10". I'm not sure about the roosting box yet. I know i want it on the end with the 4 foot over hang so the nesting box is attached. I'm thinking 3 foot off the dirt or sand floor with 3'x6' hardware cloth deck so the poop hits the ground to rake vs poop board. I'm planning on siding the roost with the tin i have saved up. I'll run the tin a foot past the hardware choth deck. That puts the tin two foot from the floor and four foot up. Run the tin four foot down the sides and across the back. That's one foot past the deck with an open front. I could put tin a foot down from the top and sides of the front for more of a windbreak. it's hot here almost year round so as long as they are dry . Only a few weeks of cold. I can keep i piece of tin for winter and cover the front. Put straw on the hardware cloth deck to kill a draft? I just not sure about the draft thing and chickens yet. Having the tin on the inside makes it where nothing can claim the wire to get to the roost or nesting boxes. i'll post some pictures as i go.
I have the roof section with gutters ready. Cleared the arear of over hanging trees and prepare the ground and drainage. I put the old fence down and set two poles. As soon as i get the corner posts and squared up i can put a middle pole in the back and set two on the front for the 2' door. Ok i just got back inside from taking some picture now that the Power Co. has fixed the underground power cable to the house. yes i hit the thing on the third hole. That par for me. I just nicked the shield. no wires broken so they just wrapped it with rubber. now i can get back to work

Attachments

• SSPX0966.JPG
    SSPX0966.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 178
  • SSPX0968.JPG
    SSPX0968.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 105
  • SSPX0970.JPG
    SSPX0970.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 109
  • SSPX0972.JPG
    SSPX0972.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 108
  • SSPX0973.JPG
    SSPX0973.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 111
:frow ! Hi neighbor! I live near Baton Rouge. You cant be too far away to still.be rummaging things from Katrina and hot all year :lau

I wanted to add a few notes of caution. The chickens scratch at the ground continuously so i wouldnt want to cover the whole ground like that. Usually the recommendation is to go either 1 ft into the ground with hardware cloth Or 6 inchs down and 6 inchs out. This will keep everything from dogs to foxes, even mice and snakes out.

Although it is the heat we most have to contend with, frostbite is easier to get here because of the humidity and i always make sure i have a plan for winterizing because altho a draft is nice in summer and open coops are good for poop and dander control, it gives frost bite in winter. The year before last, my Hona roo was with a friend while i was having a new baby. thats the year it snowed twice and he lost All the tips of his comb. The straw is a good idea for winterizing. Id also save a couple pieces of tin for the top sections when the cool weather sets in and then remove it when the heat comes back 3 months later :gig

So glad to welcome you to the flock and dont feel like you need to tear everything out thats not what im saying just consider the scratching and the mice and snakes. I just wanna help not criticize and im really glad to have another neighbor on the site!

What ever wire i use to wrap the sides will tie in and skirt out a foot . The chain link i got for nothing. It can't hurt and might save the day. I'm putting 6" to 12" of dirt and sand on top of the floor after i get it wired up. I'm still looking at wire. I like the 2"x 4" 12.5 gauge as it does not deform easy when grabbed or hit. I'm thinking that 1/4 or 1/2 hardware cloth would mat with leaves in a tropical blow unlike larger wire. I could do the first two feet with 1/4 cloth. I have time. I'm going to finish the framing, roosting and nesting boxes before i wire.

Jackson county over by Gautier. It's small really. Let me get the roof on and some boards up and I'll post some more pics. It's slow going as i work slow. I can't work like i use to with right side heart failure. A little in the morning and evening in this heat. I had to sit in a chair and rest twice just putting one pole in the ground. Slow and steady wins the race. I have some help lined up to set the roof.

Better go deeper
nope, top 4" are going to be fine cinders rock. Next coarse construction sand and I'm hard packing the 4" of dirt now. See pic's. I'll have the outside run open in good weather. They can dig out there. The dust box will be inside and that should cut down on it.

What state?
How did i miss that in miss iss ipp i.
SSPX0977.JPG

Attachments

• SSPX0978.JPG
    SSPX0978.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 99

Back
Top Bottom