11 chicks, 1 cricket, no grit

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickcrazyNC, Jul 26, 2014.

1. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi! I'm very new to chickens, I got my chicks just a week ago and they are between 3.5 - 5.5 weeks old. Today I caught a cricket in the yard and put it in the coop with my 11 chicks and they had a great time chasing each other around and dismembering it [​IMG] But now I'm a little worried because I didn't even think about the fact that I haven't given them any grit yet. They free ranged once, some a few days ago and most likely would have picked up some sand and dirt then. Am I being paranoid? I plan to get some grit on Monday just to put my mind at ease. Thanks!

2. chickcrazyNC

Jul 26, 2014
    Sorry, didn't mean to post this in the new member section. Obviously I'm new to the site lol

3. N F C

N F C coffee up kids! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

I don't think you're being paranoid, it sounds to me like you care about and for your chicks. Just pick up the grit on Monday and sprinkle it in their food, they'll be fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Songster

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Are they outside?

If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had chickens for several years and have never given them grit because they spend their days either in the run or free ranging around my yard. They get what they need from digging around in the dirt.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. chickcrazyNC

Jul 26, 2014
    No. They have been in their coop for 3 days now and I was told to not let them out for at least a week so they learn to return there at night.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You are not paranoid!

Get the grit monday and enjoy your little peepers![​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, glad you stopped in here so we got to meet you. I don't think you are paranoid, I think you are conscientious and want to do the best for your birds.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You are definitely not paranoid. You just care about your flock, as all of us do. Your chicks will be fine. Just give them some grit on Monday. Good luck with your new flock.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Your chicks will be fine. When I brooded mine in the house they caught and ate the odd bug that made the mistake of visiting them and they were fine though they didn't have access to grit at the time. If they eat larger amounts of things beside their normal chick food they will need some grit though.

10. [​IMG]
    Some of these guys have been free ranging with mom since day 4 and after 4 weeks now I have never dad to put them to bed at night and mom got tired of them pulling on her feathers so she left last week and left ..........

Oh ya they eat bugs all the time and then pick up the sand on the ground ........

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: