1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

11 chicks, 1 cricket, no grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickcrazyNC, Jul 26, 2014.

1. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi! I'm very new to chickens, I got my chicks just a week ago and they are between 3.5 - 5.5 weeks old. Today I caught a cricket in the yard and put it in the coop with my 11 chicks and they had a great time chasing each other around and dismembering it [​IMG] But now I'm a little worried because I didn't even think about the fact that I haven't given them any grit yet. They free ranged once, some a few days ago and most likely would have picked up some sand and dirt then. Am I being paranoid? I plan to get some grit on Monday just to put my mind at ease. Thanks!

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

They should be just fine. Not to worry at all. Enjoy your birds more… worry less.

RJ

3. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Thanks!

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You are more than welcome. And welcome to BYC if you have not already been. Most any commercial chicken feed requires no grit. It will digest on its own without. Once you hit grass, bugs, seeds, scratch and such, it is then that you should provide grit to your birds. Offer it if you can, prior to letting them out, say a week or so.

Some say they pick up enough grit being out of the coop and such, that it is not required. I like to start my chicks off at 3 to 4 weeks with chick grit, it is sized small like they are. When the little sack is gone it is time for bigger grit and I use what ever is cheapest. I suppose there is a difference in even grit… but it is all just rocks to me. I don' think the birds care.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by