11 chicks!!!!!!!!!!!

frizzleman74

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Fairfield County
I just got 11 babies in the mail on Wednesday. I got them from mypetchicken and they hatched on monday! I have 1 white silkie, 1 blue silkie, 1 speckled sussex, 1 buff orpington, 1 salmon faverolle, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 golden laced wyandotte, 1 white leghorn, 1 partridge cochin, and 2 easter eggers. Im soo excited im trying to preserve there youth by taking a whole bunch of pictures! I just have a couple questions..When can i start feeding them cracked corn, lettuce, tomatoes grass clipping etc... I also wanted to get some adivce on how to get your chickens attached to you.. i would like a relationship with each chicken! right now theyre afraid of me when i put my hand in to play with them.. I would like for them to soon want to come play with me! any tips? thanks!! I'll get some pictures up soon

In 2009 everyday I would grab my baby chick and hold him for a long time and he would fell asleep on me and was very mellow after a while. He is a rooster today and he is THEE nicest rooster ever , haha! He protects me and always comes rushin to me just to say hello or something
smile.png
I love him sooo much and his name is Creamy! What you want to use is chick starter. And just hold ur chicks everyday and cuddle with them, when they are older they'll LOVE you!
big_smile.png

Oh and one more thing, silkies when they are at a young age are very fragile, so spend less time with the silkies but when they get older like... 2-4 weeks is when you can hold them a lot! Hoped this all helped!!
smile.png

Last edited:
thanks so much! and i didn't realize that part about the silkies...they're just sooooo cute that I've been wanting to play with them more! I'll just have to resist for a little bit!

CUTE!!!! You could also put a little chick starter in your hand and lay your hand flat on the brooder floor. Its what I do with my chicks. My hand used to be a big, scary monster they would all run from.....now its the most glorious thing they've ever seen whether it contains food or not. They swarm it, bit my fingers, and try to sit in it. Good luck with your new babies, they sure are adorable!!!

SO cute!! I love the look of silkies; are they good egg layers? I'm loving the amazing variety of breeds out there. We're still trying to decide what we'd like to have and I can't decide between some of these breeds. Can't we just get one of everything?? Decisions, decisions....

No, silkies are not the chickens to get if you are looking for high egg productivity. Also they are bantams, and the eggs are smaller, as well as fewer being laid compared to many other chickens.

I would wait on any treats until at the very least a week, probably two. As far as them getting them used to you, the best advice I can give is Be patient!!!
big_smile.png
. I know what you are going through I have 11 ten day old chicks that are finally coming around. Dipping your finger in the water and then in the chick crumbles and holding your finger toasted them. Eventually one will come up and peck at it, then the rest will start, just to warn you, it may take time, I mean longer than just a couple of minutes. <3ChickenForever was right, you need to take them out and hold them, let them sit on you and walk around on you and they will get used to you. I recently started giving plain yogurt. I put it on the end of my finger so they don't get too much yet. At first I had to rub it on their beak because they wouldn't try it, but after a day or two of this, they now go crazy every time I put my hand in the brooder looking for yogurt!
One last tip, if you can have access to your brooder from the side it helps. Mine is a large cardboard brooder and I cut a window in it and put plexiglass over it. So when I go down to see them, I pull off the plexiglass and lay down on the floor with my head just inside and I talk to them
smile.png
. When you come at them from above their prey instinct takes over and they run away, at least until they learn you're not going to eat them!
When you do decide to give them treats like grass make sure you have grit for them, either chick size grit or sand works. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom