11 day old chick bad eye and going in circles

Daisy Chick

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2015
Hi, this is my first post but I've visited the site many times looking for chicken info over the last two years and have found lots of great info. Now I have an issue for which I cannot find an answer.

I have five chicks who I got about 11 days ago. One had a slightly closed left eye when I got her but it was so minor. (I think it was born this way because the person I got her from hatched it and has never seen this problem in her birds or the people she gets eggs from.) Anyway, after I got home I noticed it was sunken and watery. Then the chick started turning it's head to the left like it was dizzy and sometimes walking in tight circles and couldn't stop itself until I picked it up and put it on my finger. It seems to get agitated and go in circles when the other chicks are active so stress seems to bring it on. I separate it at times so it has periods of calm. The left eye, which started out sunken is now pink and puffy on the lower lid and had pus on the upper lid until I started putting Terramycin gel on it twice a day. But, the eye doesn't seem to want to heal. It doesn't close completely.

I fed it Poly Vi Sol for about 5 days but nothing changed and it was just torture for the chick so I quit that. I was putting Vetericyn gel on it's eye but that didn't do anything. Now I'm feeding it finely chopped sunflower seeds mixed with vitamin E, selenium and yeast(vit B). It also gets chick starter food and has chick boost in the water.

Then there's the agitated turning of the head to the left sometimes fast sometimes slow. It cranes it's head up, stretching it's neck with the bad eye, the left one to the sky. When it eats and drinks it looks pretty normal but it doesn't devour food like the others and no interest in meal worms!!.

Since it was in contact with the other chicks for a day so I didn't separate her completely because I figured they'd been exposed.

I thought this could be brain damage/neurological but the funky eye also?

I'll post a picture and hopefully a video from my phone.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post but I've visited the site many times looking for chicken info over the last two years and have found lots of great info.  Now I have an issue for which I cannot find an answer.

I have five chicks who I got about 11 days ago.  One had a slightly closed left eye when I got her but it was so minor. (I think it was born this way because the person I got her from hatched it and has never seen this problem in her birds or the people she gets eggs from.) Anyway, after I got home I noticed it was sunken and watery. Then the chick started turning it's head to the left like it was dizzy and sometimes walking in tight circles and couldn't stop itself until I picked it up and put it on my finger.  It seems to get agitated and go in circles when the other chicks are active so stress seems to bring it on.  I separate it at times so it has periods of calm.  The left eye, which started out sunken is now pink and puffy on the lower lid and had pus on the upper lid until I started putting Terramycin gel on it twice a day.  But, the eye doesn't seem to want to heal.  It doesn't close completely.

I fed it Poly Vi Sol for about 5 days but nothing changed and it was just torture for the chick so I quit that.  I was putting Vetericyn gel on it's eye but that didn't do anything.  Now I'm feeding it finely chopped sunflower seeds mixed with vitamin E, selenium and yeast(vit B).  It also gets chick starter food and has chick boost in the water. 

Then there's the agitated turning of the head to the left sometimes fast sometimes slow.  It cranes it's head up, stretching it's neck with the bad eye, the left one to the sky.  When it eats and drinks it looks pretty normal but it doesn't devour food like the others and no interest in meal worms!!.

Since it was in contact with the other chicks for a day so I didn't separate her completely because I figured they'd been exposed. 

I thought this could be brain damage/neurological but the funky eye also?

I posted pictures but doesn't look like I can post video of the whirling dervish.

Thanks!!!!!!!

I would certainly keep up the Vitamin supplements ...it may well have wry neck symptoms...it can take for what seems forever to rectify wry neck...I had a Silkie chick that I treated for five weeks with similar symptoms and he is as normal now as any of my others...there were times when I thought about ending his life...but I am so happy for him...

About the eye issue...I have no help to offer..it may be related to wry neck...hopefully somebody here will advise you further on what action to take for the eye issue....

Just wondering how your chick is doing...I noticed that you posted some photographs of the affected eye...

I hope somebody can help you determine the cause(s) of what the problem(s) is/are...

Just thinking aloud here...

Three potential causes...

Respiratory Disease
Stress/ Neurological problem
Injury/Irritant

Until somebody else can offer suggestions...check the nares (nostrils) for signs of any obstruction.

Hello daisy chick and :welcome . Is there a little swelling around that eye and are there any other symptoms? Wheezing, sneezing rubbing it's head on things . I would pop some chlorsig drops in the eye or terramycin . Also check the ears and the roof of the mouth for swelling or mucous.
Chickens can also get eye worm , usually from eating infected cockroaches.

Last edited:
Try 1 CC Fortified Vitamin B complex.
Must have 100mg/ml Thiamin(B1)
on chicks pour down throat gently
On adults shot just under skin
insert needle, pull back on plunger,
there should be no blood.
If blood,remove from that spot
and try another spot
-blood means vein -
B in vein leathal

Under Wing is easiest spot for Shots

Continue treatment S days
Give Probiotics for 10 days

Try 1 CC Fortified Vitamin B complex.
Must have 100mg/ml Thiamin(B1)
on chicks pour down throat gently
On adults shot just under skin
insert needle, pull back on plunger,
there should be no blood.
If blood,remove from that spot
and try another spot
-blood means vein -
B in vein leathal

Under Wing is easiest spot for Shots

Continue treatment S days
Give Probiotics for 10 days

I'm curious, why would you suspect a thiamine deficiency ?

She is holding steady I think. Sleeping in my pocket right now ;)
I started her on Duramycin in her water yesterday in case it's upper respiratory.

Back
Top Bottom