11 day old chick crop bloat full of mucous

Ilovefatchicks

Chirping
May 27, 2018
She fills up very large and then I squeeze it out. ClearMucous and starter but mostly slime. About 3 table spoons of slime. Poop is water and a bit of white. No smell. She recovers and then it happened again in one day. Please Help?

OK When are you checking the crop?

Check it first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat or drink - the crop should be empty.

Is she lethargic?
You have any photos - chick, poop?

I would not be squeezing the crop contents up, you risk her aspirating.

It was full yest afternoon and them she was curling in distress at midnight. I followed guidelines and expressed her. She felt better and ate drank premed. 8:30 AM, bloated again, expressed again. She is now quarenteened. She is left of the perched, big brown.

Attachments

• 20200403_202932.jpg
    20200403_202932.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 5
What are you feeding?
Photos of the brooder setup please, plus all the chicks.

How is heat provided?
Do you provide grit?

I still would not press the crop to make her vomit, you risk her aspirating on fluids.

If you need to separate her out, make water available, keep her warm. See if the crop goes down over the course of a day.
If chicks are under a light 24/7 they eat all the time, it's very hard to gauge crop function when they are continually eating.
Is she acting lethargic?
What guidelines did you follow? Got a link for that?
It was full yest afternoon and them she was curling in distress at midnight. I followed guidelines and expressed her. She felt better and ate drank premed. 8:30 AM, bloated again, expressed again. She is now quarenteened. She is left of the perched, big brown.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock. You should not be emptying her crop. Many chickens choke to death when their crops are emptied. How is the chick acting? Is she eating and drinking ? If you electrolytes, NutriDrench, or SaveAChick with water, give some to replace the things she has lost.

Back
Top Bottom