1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11-day old chick with missing feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tracykennedy, Mar 6, 2016.

1. tracykennedy

tracykennedy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    We just purchased some 10-day old chicks at a 4h sale yesterday. This is our first time raising chickens. We got two Black Australorps and two Golden Laced Wyandottes. One of our Wyandottes is missing feathers under her right wing. She has a bald spot there that I didn't see we we brought her home yesterday. I haven't seen any pecking when I've been hanging out with the chicks.

I will try to post a picture.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on your new chicks. A photo or two would be great, but at the age of your birds a bald spot here and there is not all that unusual as the shedding of baby fuzz and growth of feathers is not always as well coordinated as it could be. Is the skin in this bare spot normal in appearance or red/irritated/broken?

3. tracykennedy

tracykennedy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    I am a newbie to posting and trying to post some pics from my iPad. Hopefully these will show up. My 6-year old snapped these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by