11 Hens, 12 Eggs??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by digger MN, Dec 5, 2010.

1. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Ok, What the heck happened here? I understood that hens only lay one egg a day. Right. out of the 11 hens 2 lay white eggs. I went out a 8am yesterday got 10 eggs ok 8 brown 2 white. went back out about half hour later and a brown egg and white in the box. These white hens started laying with the rest about July and have not miss a day yet. Would be nice getting a even dozen everyday but WHAT do you think is going on??

2. cottage19

cottage19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Eastern PA
    It IS close to Christmas...maybe the egg elf is getting an early start...[​IMG]

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I had a hen that used to lay 2 in one day on occaision..stupid mr fox ate her and I have not had a hen lay 2 in one day since then (she was a mutt hen that looked like a mottled houdan)

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Yay! You have SuperChickens! [​IMG]

5. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    We had the same thing happen to us last week. 11 RIRs and we had 12 eggs one day!

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Pullets will do that sometimes. As they get older things get more normal like 5 eggs a week with 2 days off not in a row all the time. Any chickens laying 7 days a week will only last one year due to burn out. Normal egg laying is 3 to 5 eggs a week per chicken, these will lay for many years. Your production stock like sex lind and hybred do not lay much past 2 years since they burn out. Many do not make it past one year.

7. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks everyone, by the way it looks to me I should start hatching some eggs now to take over for the hens I have now. That will burn out in April. Hey they have been great for the first ones I have raised. See what the next ones are like. I like chicken stew.

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Yes, digger, that's how the chicken math begins.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    My best layer ever was my Dom Aunt Susie. She'd give me an extra one once in a while and she never missed a day that I had her (bought her and 2 chicks, so she was broody), but after no chicks the eggs kept coming.

I had to sell my flock when we lost our house. Susie went to the feedstore lady's friend. She says Susie is still giving her eggs and may miss a day every few weeks, but that's it. She's the favorite bird at her new home.

10. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    The first time my EE laid, she gave us two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by