11 New Birds to Meet Remaining 2 5yo Hens

beezymama76

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Edit: I apologize. I took the thread topic literally..."New Member Introductions" LOL Now I cannot see how to delete or move this post to the appropriate section!
Hello! We have two 5yo rhode islands remaining from our first group of hens. We got 11 new birds that are now 8 weeks old. They have spent the last 2 weeks in a pen inside the fenced yard where our older girls free range. At night fall I have brought them back into the house to sleep in their horse trough. The older girls have paid them very little attention. We just completed a smaller run that surrounds the existing coop as we didn't want the young birds having full yard access yet as there are places they could escape while they are still smaller. Normally our older girls wander into the coop at dusk. Right now they have no access to the area. What do you suggest I do this evening when the little ones are looking to roost for the night and my big older girls are ready for bed too!? Is there going to be a showdown?

Last edited:
:frow @beezymama76

If you would like your thread moving to another section you can click the report button at the bottom of your post and ask a staff member to move it for you :)
B9FDDBF6-5C12-4E7D-BB90-D7AFE2868A6E.jpeg

The numbers favor your chicks as far as an fairly smooth integration. I.e. integration would probably be much more difficult if you were attempting to integrate 2 young pullets into a flock with 11 older hens. I suggest waiting until just before night falls tonight and your two hens have gone to roost, then placing each pullet onto the roosts too. (Keep in mind that the pullets may be distressed at this turn of events, since they are used to being brought back inside to sleep in your house.) Then, if you are concerned, go to the coop just before sunrise tomorrow and observe their behaviors. The older hens may try to drive the pullets away, but as long as no chicks are physically harmed, they should accept their presence fairly quickly. Meanwhile, it is a good idea to have more than one food and water station available to make sure the pullets aren't prevented from eating/drinking, and a few places to hide are a good idea too.

The numbers favor your chicks as far as an fairly smooth integration. I.e. integration would probably be much more difficult if you were attempting to integrate 2 young pullets into a flock with 11 older hens. I suggest waiting until just before night falls tonight and your two hens have gone to roost, then placing each pullet onto the roosts too. (Keep in mind that the pullets may be distressed at this turn of events, since they are used to being brought back inside to sleep in your house.) Then, if you are concerned, go to the coop just before sunrise tomorrow and observe their behaviors. The older hens may try to drive the pullets away, but as long as no chicks are physically harmed, they should accept their presence fairly quickly. Meanwhile, it is a good idea to have more than one food and water station available to make sure the pullets aren't prevented from eating/drinking, and a few places to hide are a good idea too.
Thank you very much! YES! I was thinking I will close the big service door and be sure my older girls can get in and get settled first. Then I will let the littles in....great idea to set an alarm for early to intercept the waking of the 13 little monsters!! I will let you know how it goes!!

Thank you very much! YES! I was thinking I will close the big service door and be sure my older girls can get in and get settled first. Then I will let the littles in....great idea to set an alarm for early to intercept the waking of the 13 little monsters!! I will let you know how it goes!!
Hey, I also have the number 13 (of ducks ) nine of them are older ladies age between three and seven but I also have 4 “ducknagers “ and I did the same exact thing. I set my alarm early to get out to them before they kill each other. Lol they were fine yay thanks God.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom