11 Week Buff Orpington mix--pullet or cockerel?

TRaeH

Hatching
Oct 23, 2015
We got Chet as a sexed pullet at 3 days old. She has been making some interesting almost-crowing sounds recently and now as I stare at her and compare her feathers to other similar pullets/cockerels I am completely and totally confused as to whether my chicken guy got the sexing correct or if she is really a he. :-/ (Which would be a problem and he would need to find a new home asap.)

Chet is a Buff Orpington/something mix...and I don't know if the BO was the roo or hen. I took a lot of pictures. I will try to post the best ones. It's a little windy but I think these should work...

Boo! We really wanted Permel to be a pullet since she was our only survivor from the first hatch. My kiddo will be disappointed. :-/

If they really are Roos I need to find them a new place to live before they get loud and blow my cover. Are y'all certain enough that you would re-home them now if you were me?

My other chicken friend has any number of known pullets/young hens she would let me have. Her chicken math went all haywire and she is frantically building coops to keep up with her hatching addiction. Ha! Lucky for her and her birds she is not bound by city limits or HOA's. :)

Without knowing the cross, it makes it more challenging since some breeds of hens get large combs. So with a margin of error, at 11 weeks with a bright red comb I'd say it's a rooster.

Thanks everyone! I think I have found both boys a home. Chet was tiptoeing awfully close to crowing in the morning and I can't have that in my 'hood! My friend out of town is housing them both on her property until I can meet up with the prospective new owner.

Back
Top Bottom