11 week chicks have red face? could it be wind burn?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ldutch123, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I recently moved ny 11 week old chicks into their coop and I have a heat lamp in there. I opened their food to allow them to run outside if they wanted. When I got home from work it looked like a few of the girls had bright red face and earlobes. Their coop was about 40 degrees. But I'm worried they shouldnt go out on cold days it was Luke 45 but windy?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

11 week old chicks are pre-teenagers, if you will. They'll go out or not go out based on what they wish to do. They just aren't fragile at that age. I just open the door and they decide for themselves. They rush out, that's for sure. Some stay out all day, while others prefer to come back in and roost. They're different and they choose. Sure their faces get flushed, but it does no harm.

Why you have a heat lamp with 11 week olds is a bit of mystery though.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I have 4 week olds out in 30's yours should be fine

4. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I have a heat lamp because I figured when it gets down to 25 at night they would be cold. I didn't know how come they could handle? The coop is very big so I thought they would get really cold n possibly die. What's the rule of thumb for chicken teenagers? I appreciate any and all advice

5. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    My pullets are 13 weeks and they free range all day and have been doing so since they were 5 weeks old. The ears and face have gotten redder as they grow and is natural. I'm not sure what you are describing, do you have a pic?

The cold doesn't bother my chickens, if it is raining they will find cover under one of the buildings. I have even put food out for them and they would rather free range for the insects in the rain than eat the feed. I don't think letting them out is a problem. They LUV it.

eta: I don't think you need a heat lamp, they will be fine as long as there are no drafts.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Ok great. I will just let them out to run around if they wish

7. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I agree also we have a couple of Alaska members on here and I dont think they use heat in the coops at all. I am in Pa and we dont use heat either and have never lost a bird to cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by