1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11 week old chick in desperate need of help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TaysBantamBunch, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TaysBantamBunch

TaysBantamBunch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    This morning I went out to the coop and my 11 week old pekin bantam chick wouldnt stop turning around in circles,after alot of researching its clear he has been pecked in the head.. my question is now,what do I do with him? Do I put him in a dark cage and cover it?so its night time..
    What should I do now?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks guys.Tay

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well you might want to separate him from the others and also check for a bully in the group, but where ever you put him make sure it is warm and dry and the light you are using is it a white bulb if it is this is your real problem and really any other color will do better and slow down the pecking ......

gander007

3. gander007

Just one question how big is your coop and how many chickens do you have in there ?????

I am thinking you might have a overcrowding problem [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. TaysBantamBunch

Jan 24, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    We have two coops which are divided into 1 and we open it each morning for more space,I don't think that's the problem because our bantams are tiny and in comparison to them the coop/s is massive. I have 13 all up. 2 roosters 4 hens and 6 chicks.. in regards to your other question 1 of the chicks is much bigger than the rest and after being with them most of the day watching them all the time,I know his Mannerisms are very rooster like, so I predict they were trying to establish the pecking order and it resulted in this..

5. TaysBantamBunch

Jan 24, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    However the larger chick(Ginji) suspected to be a rooster is the friendliest of all the chicks so I don't think he is a bully,Wilmar is the friendliest hen and is his mum so they have a friendly gene i think:)

6. gander007

Well it sounds like you have enough room and letting them out is the best thing I do agree ....

So have you segregated the hurt chick yet ??????

7. TaysBantamBunch

Jan 24, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    No I havnt,I didnt want to do anything and freak him out by taking him away from his mother and every one else, untill I really knew if it was the right thing.
    I was thinking of putting him in our cat carrier and covering it with a blanket but still in the coop so hes still with everyine, just to stop him from doing circles is exhausting just watching him.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm wondering if the treatment for silkies with a bad peck on the head would be the same for your bird? I raise silkies and when they get a bad peck on the head they get a condition called wry neck.it causes neck twisting circle walking and more. To treat a bad case of that in silkies I've been successful in using prednisone. It helps with the brain swelling but it is a steroid and should be used with extreme caution and can not be stopped abruptly but must be weaned off making the dose smaller and smaller and smaller. I would contact your vet to get exact disease for your birds size . for my birds size I started off using a 4 my tablet cut in 1/4 giving one 1/4 in the am and one 1/4 in the pm. Equaling .2 mg. I got my treatment plan specifically for my bird from a vet so it wouldn't be safe to use my dose as you would need your own treatment plan.but the prednisone did work wonderfully and reduce the brain swelling and brought my bird back to normal. It might be something worth trying for your birds brain swelling.if you can't prednisone you can also try using a low dose Bayer children's aspirin for the inflmation. I hope this is helpful. I wish you the best.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. gander007

Yes that is a good idea too and at the same time for safety he is in a quarantined environment ......

10. TaysBantamBunch

Jan 24, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Thankyou so much everyone, gander and Realsis! He's in a quarantined area and tomorrow at sunrise I will try the children's aspirin,he's such a cute chick I wish I could show you,is there a way to upload pictures via smartphone?
    And as you have described it is definately wry neck.
    once again im so thankful for all your help!
    Tay:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by