11 week old cochin bantams, bag of chick starter/grower almost gone...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mucky, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Mucky

Mucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    small town iowa
    I have 4 cochin bantams, 11 weeks old, and my bag of chick starter/grower is almost gone. I am thinking of buying a bag a layer and mixing the last of the starter/grower with it for the next week or two. Is it too early to switch to layer?

2. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I think you only need the starter for the first 2 months or so. I switched mine over to grower mixed with fancy scratch grains.

3. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    I just ran out of chick feed too for my 12 week bantams. The feed store suggested an All Purpose Poultry grower feed for now....wait for the layer feed until they lay.

4. Mucky

Mucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    small town iowa
    I ran to the feed store and took a look at everything they have. I think I am just going to keep them on the chick starter/grower that I have been using intill they start laying. I have started leaving table scraps in the run for them. Gonna clean out whatever is left at the end of the day, dont want to attract any other critters. So far they dont seem very interested in them. But they arent used to getting them and its really hot outside, they arent eatting much anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by