11 Week old Delaware

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kacey Elle, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Kacey Elle

Kacey Elle Songster

Jun 30, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Pullet or cockerel? Much redder comb/wattles than the rest of our 11-week-olds. image_attachment.jpg

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Cockerel

Kacey Elle and featheredplanets like this.
  3. Kacey Elle

Kacey Elle Songster

Jun 30, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    @ Gray Farms Thanks. Never had one before but that's what I thought....

4. LiKaCo

LiKaCo Hatching

Jun 20, 2019
    30 miles east of Seattle
    I was told this was a Delaware but it looks too black on the back compared to other pictures on here. He/she is almost 6 weeks old. I am hoping he is not a roo because I did get a RIR roo this year (not on purpose), and he is gorgeous. Is this a Delaware, and is this a roo?

Attached Files:

5. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Yes, beautiful Delaware, but looks like a cockerel to me too. Pretty boy!

CindyinSD and Kacey Elle like this.
  6. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    No, it's not a Delaware, and so far to me (I'm no genius) it looks like a pullet. Still a little early to tell from photos alone.

7. Kacey Elle

Kacey Elle Songster

Jun 30, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    @Peppercorngal Thanks! He's actually been (so far) polite for a boy but he is starting to hold himself apart from the rest of the flock and watch warily when people enter the run. Even though he seems nice and is beautiful, we're not allowed to have roosters so he's gotta go. :( As each day passes, I'm more and more positive he's a he. Plus I've got two "male" votes from this forum.

8. LiKaCo

LiKaCo Hatching

Jun 20, 2019
    30 miles east of Seattle
    I hope you are right. Any idea on breed? These were at the farm the day I picked her up:

Delaware, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, Olive Eggers, Black Maran Sexlink, Salmon Faverolle, Guinea, Olive Eggers, Blue Red Laced Wyandotte, Crested Cream Legbars, Black Copper Maran, Lavender Orpington, Silkie, Frizzle

9. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Well, we can tell that it's not a Delaware, not an Orpington, not EE, not Olive Egger, not black maran, too black to be Salmon Faverolle, obviously not a guinea, COULD be a splash lavender orpington, not a silkie or a frizzle. Did we narrow it down?

10. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    But he's so pretty! I actually had 5 Delawares including one rooster. Unfortunately the rooster was MEAN! I don't hold with mean roosters so I sold him. I still have the girls! Maybe you can post him on this forum in your area and find him a good home. You are not that far from Morgan Hill and Gilroy where there are plenty of farms. Good Luck :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: