11 week old Easter Egger-- guy or gal? [Updated w/ new photo]

6chicksinatub

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
This is Sarah Connor. Please excuse her back end, she gets pecked at a lot by another chicken we've got. The pecker may be moving out soon if she doesn't clean up her act.
I'm unsure of Sarah's gender.
She's got single looking comb, which I've read is girly.
But she's got the black and white (with beetle green) which I've read is mannish.
She's the largest or a close 2nd largest bird in our flock, but is not aggressive at all
and routinely gets pecked on by a far smaller California White, the pecker-- that doesn't seem very rooster-like.
But she seems built more like a roo with her long legs and neck, and her pretty erect posture.
And then there's the lack of any tail or saddle feathers.
(The purple is Blue-Kote.)
90577_dscn0433.jpg

90577_dscn0439.jpg

90577_dscn0450.jpg

90577_dscn0575.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sarah is not an Easter Egger..................Sarah is a Silver Laced Cochin

Sarah is not a pullet, he is a cockerel. When the picker is pulled, and feathers regrow, saddle feathers will also grow - they tend to start showing up around 12 weeks of age or so.

Quote:

Though it'd be super fun to mix him with an Easter Egger!

Cochins are not that tall and skinny. I bet it's a mixed Cochin/EE.

Last edited:
"Assorted Ameraucana Pullets" is what the sign said at the feed store. I figured "she" was really an EE after reading a few posts on one of the BYC Ameracauna threads. I also gathered that EEs were such a mixed bag that just about anything that laid or came out of green/blue eggs was an EE.
We had some chicken friends suggest that Sarah might be a Cochin because of her wildly feathered feet, but that body shape and posture kept me wondering.

Edited to add "Assorted", for accuracy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom