11 week old EE, Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grille, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    This is the last of my chicks that I still am not sure of.

[​IMG]

On the right...

[​IMG]

again, on the right...

[​IMG]

In the back...

[​IMG]

Cockerel???

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    so far looks like a pullet now the one to the left of the one in question is a cockerel

3. looks pulletish to me

4. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Out of my four EE chicks three are clearly cockerels. This one I have always thought was a pullet. Any time I have posted the pics of it everyone says pullet. Today I had a nice lady come over to see my chicks and tell me the sex. She has raised chickens for 30 yrs and judges show chickens. She took one look at it and said it was a cockerel. This chick was my last hope of having a pullet! I sure hope she was wrong. LOL.. Out of my 8 older chicks, seven are confirmed cockerels.

5. I hope so too! i like pullets a lot more than cocks. maybe she was wrong... but maybe she was right!

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its black and white and every black and white ee i have seen either 1) had some other color added to it which made it a cockerel or 2) was just the black and white with no other coloration on them what so ever have always been pullets, plus the comb isnt nearlly as red as the others combs i can see. can you post pics of the others just in case or you want some more opions about them as well (plus i want to see some more pretty chickens lol)

7. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    This chick in question was a chipmunk color, does that make a difference? I think I read somewhere that chipmunk colored chicks are usually female.

These are two hatchmates, Dave and Shannon, both crowing. The one on the bottom is one of my SLW's that is also a cockerel, but not crowing yet.

[​IMG]

The one in question is on the top of the ramp.

[​IMG]

I have 10 little BO's and it looks like four of them are cockerels too. One started crowing last week at 7 weeks old. I love this picture lol..
    [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if i am seeing it right both of your ee cockerels have a dirty/buff coloration to their hackles in which the pullet in question does not have...the buff yep deffently a cockerel (besides its crowing) it has that deep red on the wings of which only roosters get.

~ yes she is a she (the one in question)

9. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I vote EE in question is a hen not a roo as comb is not developing as others and no red coloring on shoulders. I got 8 straight run EE last year and 4 where roos and they where really pretty ones. Unfortunatly they had to go to freezer camp bc they where mean to hens.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I say he's a Roo. I think I may be seeing some pointy saddle feathers in that third pic of the original post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by