1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11 week old partridge cochin limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frizzleman74, Dec 6, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i noticed about a week ago my 11 week old standard cochin limping. At 1st it wasnt to bad, but its gotten worse. I;ve checked for signs of bumble foot and there is no evidence. I mean its still mobile and can get in and out of the coop to the run. am just very concerned. It lives with 16 other chickens 3 full grown silkies 8 13 week olds, and 5 other other 11 week olds. It isnt roosting like all the other birds. Im really nervous. It's my favorite chicken. Is t just because it is a heavier breed. And how is this happening so young. It is eating and drinking and it doesnt look like any broken bones. I have no idea what is going on, and help?

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    If it weren't so young... I would say maybe it has worms. But, 11 weeks is just so young to have a worm infestation. Worms can cause limping.

I really don't know... I can only think that is an injury. Maybe bring her or him in.. separate from the others... let her / him heal up a few days... watch the poop and see how it looks. Give some TLC... or soak the leg / foot in a warm Epsom Salt bath?

Sorry I can't be more help. Watch for other symptoms in the rest of the flock... also become a careful poop watcher. (Search here on BYC.. for "normal poop".. it will come up with a thread with a link to a UK site with pictures of normal poop.. so many kinds are normal)...

Best of luck.

3. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Quote:Enviroment is what determines the amount of worms, not age..By 11 weeks of age thats two generations of worms..A 11 week old bird can pick up just as many infective eggs as a 11 month old, And it will cause more damage in the young bird..Could you please explain more on worms making them limp? Like How,Why and what type of worms will cause this?

4. frizzleman74

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    what causes worms? i feel like i have a pretty clean and spacious set up for my chickens

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Edited to add: Worms are caused by touching dirt. Period. If there's dirt, there's worms. If your chickens eat bugs, they're almost 100% likely to have some level of parasite load. It is a natural part of existence for humans and livestock alike. People just prefer not to talk about it in people [​IMG]

I have two 4.5mo pullets limping without cause (each has a swollen/warm right foot) and will be worming ASAP (picking up Valbazen this weekend). Hoping that clears it up. It's worth a shot- apparently when it's wetter (more earthworms around) there is a higher incidence of parasitic worms.

I've also heard diatomaceous earth, red pepper flakes (chickens are insensitive to capsaicin) and pumpkin seeds are natural preventatives (not treatment).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. frizzleman74

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    how do you deworm?

7. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I have started using apple cider vinegar in their water and they love it, they are also much healthier. I have also heard that ash, like from fire wood it good to put in there coop for them to dust in and just peck at. if there is heat in a joint on a bird I would worry about infection, I am embarrassed to say that one time I steeped on my frizzle chochin's foot and he limped for like a month. I was really sad. is your bird eating, well could you maybe give him some vitamens. did you look close at the foot are there any little marks or swelling. one of my birds got her foot caught and pulled a nail she bleed and then it just stopped but she is still limping. I am a worry wart so I cleaned it, much to her dismay, and bandaged it. now if you want a smile put a bandage on a proud blue bantam cochin and watch her cuss you as she trying to take her place in the flock with every one thinking of pecking her bandage. she is high in the pecking order, due to her sheer onryness so no one dares. good luck I hope you get some good advice. I would get a magnifying glass and clean the foot and leg then look realy close. you could also use some alcohol to see if any part of the foot is sore. I think I have never tried that, just on my son, he did not like it much but I found the small thorn he had.

8. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I have heard on another thread here use Safeguard equine wormer pea size and then again in 10 days or 3 days in a row. I also found some natural remedies it cures them in humans so should be good for chickens.( Its ok for chickens I checked it out.) St. Johns Wort. I havent found the dosage yet but I will keep looking. Below is the link to where I first found it.
    Go down the page where it says Treatment (theres a chart there and its listed and the other link where they have used on chickens is the second link.

http://www.ayushveda.com/health/intestinal-worms.htm

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562624&p=3

I havent tried it yet myself but I going to very soon.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There's alot of misinformation in this thread. Worms are NOT the cause of your bird limping. Most likely your cochin jumped down from a high roost or other high location and sprained a tendon or ligament. You need to lower roosts, lower or eliminate high places so that your birds wont have leg or foot problems when they jump/hop down off something. Seperate your cochin into a cage or crate and provide food and water. She'll need rest and relaxation in order for her injured leg to heal. You dont want her up walking around because it can aggravate the injury further requiring longer healing time or possible permanent damage. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy and crush a few into powder and sprinkle it on her feed to eat. The vitamin B comples might help her heal quicker. Continue this for about 5 days, then take her out of the cage and see if she can walk without limping. If not, put her back in the cage and repeat treatment again for 1 week. Then release her again to see if she can walk, if not, place her back in the cage and stop the vitamin B complex treatment. Sometimes this types of injuries take a week to heal, a month or two, or never when severe injury has occured. Then it might become a quality of life issue. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by