11 week old Silkie baby can't stand won't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kody00276, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Kody00276

Kody00276 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    I had 2 11 week old silkies and one of them died sadly but the other is holding on, I need help, I've tried giving it yoghurt, being put under heat lamp gave water with electrolytes but nothing seems to be working, PLEASE HELP !!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How are the poops? Coccidiosis is a common illness at that age. Symptoms are lethargy, hunched posture, weakness, not eating, ruffled feathers, and runny poop with mucus or blood. Corid is the best treatment, and is found at feed stores. Have you tried feeding some electrolyte water? How long have you had them?

3. Kody00276

Kody00276 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Had the chicks for 2 weeks now... Where in the house for one week and then outside... Back in the house under lamp since Sunday. The poop is fine, no mucus or blood. Water with electro lights in it.. Can't stand or hold balance on feet for long.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure they are getting the electrolyte water, or give it with a dropper or syringe. Dehydration can be a problem in hot summer weather. That can resemble cocci and other ailments. Moving from one soil to another may expose them to coccidia they haven't developed tolerance for. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, and add a little feed to some water to tempt them to eat. Probiotics or some plain yogurt can help with intestinal health. If dehydration doesn't seem to be a problem, then try treating with some Corid in their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by