11 week old silkie sexes?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

From Ideal. Had em since they were 2 or three days old.

Muppet,
    [​IMG]

Tribble
    [​IMG]

Gizmo,
    [​IMG]

Copper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aspen
    [​IMG]

Echo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Manitou
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was hard getting anyone to stay still. This was the best I could get for pics...doesn't help that my camera is a piece of junk...any guesses?

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

silkies are very hard to sex...it'll be a month or more before someone starts crowing and 5 more month before one lays an egg...that is really the only way you can deffinately tell the sex of a silkie...Pretty babies that copper looks like it is missing toes and foot feathers??? Pretty color though

3. mrsengeseth

when copper hunkers down, the upper leg feathers i guess by where i'd imagine a knee...cover his/her feet. but no foot feathering per se. He/she is a mix maybe because only four toes.

I hope to figure out sexes before someone starts crowin. Neighbors won't like that. [​IMG]

In all honesty I fear i have another coop of roos. I HOPE I have two females.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Copper might be a female. Maybe one of the other buffs too. Seriously I do not think it is a good idea to try and sex them now. I totally sexed mine wrong at about two months and I was pretty sure of it too. I would say at five months you would probably have a pretty good guess as to what sex they are. At least when they first start to crow it isnt as loud as when they have more practice.

5. mrsengeseth

yeah, I know it's early yet. But I was hoping there was a chance someone would have a guess. Either way, I got to share some fluffy butt pics.

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    give about another month then post new pics. I usally can sex mine about 15-16 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by