1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11 Week Silikie Guesses, Pullet or Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ericsgirlie, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    I know it is still early, but just getting some guesses

Shihuahua- Hoping girl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini ( We have no idea) This will be our neighbors if she is s she)
    [​IMG]

Curious George- So sweet, but we think roo
    [​IMG]

Mary Jane- Hoping girl

[​IMG]

Tweetheart - Hoping Girl- Does have a different shaped comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth Diva- Hoping Girl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Somefeet- He has got to be a roo!
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your help [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Right now, it looks like George and Somefeet are the only cockerels. Mini is in the middle. BUT... Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, so I could be wrong.

If I end up being right though, you've got a good number of pullets there, and they're all beautiful. [​IMG]

3. Direchicken

Direchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Passage West
    Herre's my tuppence-worth:

Shihuahua - almost definite female
    Mini - is this one younger? Crest looks about right for male, comb indeterminate
    Curious George - comb looks male
    Mary Jane - probable female
    Tweetheart - comb does look a bit swollen but hard to see under all that fuzz! I'll sit on the fence with this one
    Darth Diva - probable female
    Somefeet - definite male!

Good names, by the way!

Feel free to have a look at my BYC page where I've started to put together collections of photos to help people trying to sex chicks - Silkie is among the few breeds I've made a collection for, and although I think I am far from having captured the range of variety that there is in this breed, you can see that some roos (as George, in my collection) show swelling of comb from very early on.

I'd really like to include some of your photos in the sexing guide when the sex of these birds is confirmed - and also some from when they were younger, if you took any! If you would be OK with this, please could PM me in a month or two when you are more certain about the sexes?

Cheers,

Mark

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I ordered 4 straight run Silkies and I think they are all going to be males. I'm keeping them anyway, but was hoping for at least one female! Yours are beautiful!!!!

5. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Thank you. Mini has always been about half the size as the other chickens. It acts like a roo. No comb though. Tweetheart has a different type of comb. One of the other chickens have has it too.

You totally can use the photos. I posted when they were 5 weeks. I cannot remember who I posted. I will check.

6. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I agree with the others. Somefeet and Curious George look like boys. I'm leaning towards boy on Mini too. The others look like pullets. But you never know. One of my best girls crowed at 8 months and now is ruling the roost. Had no idea! She had me totally fooled. And his name is still Natasha. At that point, I refuse to change it. [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mary Jane - Tweetheart - Darth Diva Those are my guesses for girls.

The first one may be a girl, but I doubt it because how wide and noticiable the comb is.

8. Direchicken

Direchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Passage West
    Thanks Eric's girl! Keep us posted about how those Silkies turn out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by