11 week SLW pullets or Roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elbertchick, Jul 9, 2011.

1. elbertchick

elbertchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    I have a couple of very pretty chicks but I can't decide for sure if they are pullets or roos. they are 11 weeks old almost 12. No crowing yet and no chest bumping just very colorful. I thought I would ask the experts and thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    No names as of yet just Chickaroo1 and chickaroo2. This is my first try at photos.
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    chick1
    [​IMG]
    Chick2
    [​IMG]
    Chick2
    [​IMG]
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm quite certain that #2 is a roo. Can't see #1's tail too well, but I think I see some saddle feathers coming in...

3. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Looks like girls to me.

4. elbertchick

elbertchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    That makes me sad as I can't keep roos. the feathers on their saddle area are so side will they get more that are thinner? I know it is hard to tell because of the black and white pattern, some of the feathers have a pinstripe of white and then a wide black surrounding it. [​IMG] I think I will keep a little long since they seem pretty well tempered for now at least till they crow. I have to cochin roos that are in the same group and they bump chest and have very red large waddles and combs, but these to are so mellow.....

Oh yea!!! did some one say girls? more opinions please!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    One looks like a pullet as for two he kind of has the same cob as my ''said roo'' GLW, but i was told by aother BYC member that she had a pic up of her GLW and they all said boy but turned to eb a girl. So makes me wander. My GLW is the same age as your SLW and my GLW has that little bump on the back of his cob like #2 dose so i am not sure about #2, but one looks like a pullet.

6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    MissD'uccle :

Looks like girls to me.

X2 The color is more "pullet-like", than roo.​

7. BDF SL Wyandottes

BDF SL Wyandottes New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    #1 looks like a pullet and #2 looks like a roo;)

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Wow! I love the pattern on your Silver Laced Wyandottes! Here is a picture of mine when they were about *that* age.
    [​IMG] Mine were all pullets, but never had that awesome coat pattern.

My first thought about yours were that they were both cockerels. Where did you get them? Did you hatch them yourself?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by