11 weekers in the big coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by llnmaw, Jul 19, 2011.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Would you do it given the following info?

They have been in the same run for a month now but continue to sleep in their own baby coop (old dog crate) every night. There have been no issues that I have seen, certainly got chased around a bit in the first few days, but nothing scary. The littles are very obviously low man in the pecking order and mostly keep to them selves. I have three 21 week olds and two 11 week olds.

My plan is to put them in the big coop after bedtime, doubt they would try to roost yet as they still pile up together [​IMG] so I'm guessing it should go fine? They have been checking out the coop as of late, going up and down the ramp during the day, but always find their way back to their own spot at night. the recent checking out of the coop seems like a positive thing on their part.

So would you do this or keep them separate for a few more weeks. I'm just getting tired of keeping both areas up....when they spend essentially all of their waking time together anyhow.
    ~L.

2. theCandEs

theCandEs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Uh, we just integrated our 3 1/2 month old babies with our 1 1/2 year old hens. The babies still pile up together in their "baby" area. The big girls have the roost. There doesn't seem to be a problem other than the older ones will pick on the babies a bit, not letting them eat while they are eating and chasing them around, but nothing serious yet. They segregate themselves, though. I suppose you can try it and see. If you have any problems, then you can separate them again.

3. theCandEs

theCandEs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Oh, sorry! I just reread your post. I think if they are already together during the day, they should be fine at night. Just my opinion, though. Ours are all together. The babies just sleep in a different place. They haven't tried to roost with the older ones, yet.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    Our nine week old babies (only three) just started to roost with our three big girls. Its funny cuz they sleep on different ends of the roost. It is also strange, I think, that they free range in two group of three. The big girls and then the little girls. However when I go out with treat its a race to get to mom for the first treats:)

5. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks.

I'm a bit of a nervous nellie over this I think! My sister put her younger, maybe 6 weeks(?), in with her established flock of 3 and thought that it was going well during the daytimes. After the first overnight one of them had been scalped!![​IMG] I'm hoping that since it has been so long that mine have been together it should be no issue to find them in the coop in the morning.
    Thanks for your opinion! It helps.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by