11 wk old Speckled Sussex - guess the gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jewelwing, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Jewelwing

Jewelwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    I have two Speckled Sussex, both 11 weeks old, with very different tail growth. I'm still hoping they're both girls! I'm thinking I probably won't know until they either lay eggs or crow, but I'm curious what the guesses are at this stage.

Here is the first, with just a tiny little tail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the second, with a longer tail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    My guess would be # 1 pullet
    # 2 pullet

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that they are all pullets, the first pullet is just a bit rumpless but her tail feathers should grow back.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    1st I reckon is a pullet but while the second looks very pullet-ish, the slightly plainer feathers seem more of a young male type. The neck, up higher, has a bunch of quite pointy feathers starting to emerge which may be male. Not sure.

Best wishes.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I would guess the opposite...1st roo, 2nd pullet if you go by the body type and coloring for SS males and females. However, the comb doesn't look very developed on #1 so it could be a hen, but it does have very thick legs which would indicate a male too.

There is a good sexing Speckled Sussex thread here with lots of photos that helped me when I was trying to guess.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ckled-sussex-gender-update-7-week-old-pics/20

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. Jewelwing

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Cool. Thanks for the link. I think what I take from that thread is you can't really tell until they either lay an egg or start crowing!

7. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

i am not sure but both look like pullets to me.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both birds look like pullets to me. The combs are pretty small, and I don't see any pointy feathers yet. However, keep an eye on #2, as it has a slightly larger comb and the coloration looks a little more roosterish to me.

9. Jewelwing

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Thought I'd give an update. No one's started laying or crowing, but they are 16 weeks old now. I think they're both pullets.

Here's the first one (well, actually both of them, but the one in front in focus is the first one I posted above):

[​IMG]

And here's the second one:

[​IMG]

10. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree they all look like pullets at this age, most cockerels should have bigger and redder combs by now. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by