1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.
  1. ILuvsChicks

ILuvsChicks In the Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    I built a automatic door after buying the motor off Ebay. Easy to build one and it works great. But having problems with a timer for it. Any one have a recommendation for a good reliable 110 volt timer? I got a "Brinks" digital timer from Wally World. Seemed like the prefect timer. Two ONs and Offs. Built in battery so a power outage wouldn't change it's data. First one I set the data. Waited for it to hit the time set to work the door. Once it did nothing happened. Checked and rechecked. It was set as the direction said to set it. I took it back and exchanged it. The new one I set it the same way as the last one and it worked. Great I thought. So I set it to be ready to close that night and open in the morning. Went out to check it that night and the door had closed. Looking good. Got up and checked it the next morning. The door was still closed. Should had opened over an hour earlier. Check the timer and all the data had been cleared. Time of day was wrong too. I reset it. That night the door closed. Next morning the door opened. Worked good for four days. Then that morning I checked to find the door once again closed. All the data cleared again. I can't depend on this timer. I need a reliable one. Recommendations?

2. 432bullet

432bullet In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Anderson, mo
    I have been fighting the same battle with timers from Lowe's ( Utilitech) Two mechanical and one digital All junk. Lowe's has been great about exchange or refund. I just picked up a Brinks mechanical From Wally world today but have not tried it yet. After reading your post, That may not be my answer to solve the problem. Maybe someone else has come up with a better solution. Happy trails

3. JackE

JackE Crowing 8 Years

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I use a 220V version of this timer for my pool pump, and it has worked flawlessly for years. It costs a bit more, but you know what they say about buying cheap, or buying quality.
    Jack

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/54025101

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. ILuvsChicks

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    Thanks for the reply Jack. I don't mind and want to pay for a quality timer. But a 40 amp timer for a motor that pulls less than an amp seems a little bit like over kill. I know a lots of people here are using automatic doors. Surely some is using 110 volts and has a timer that is working good for them.

5. 432bullet

432bullet In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Anderson, mo
    Well my new Brinks mechanical timer worked last night and then again this morning, That 2 in a row, Yahoo :)

6. ILuvsChicks

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    I just got the Brinks mechanical timer. I'll plug it up this week end and see how it works. I'll be home all next week so I can keep an eye on it.

7. 432bullet

432bullet In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Anderson, mo
    I know it is the kiss of death to brag but my Brinks is still working :) Think I'll go knock on wood.

8. ILuvsChicks

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    My new Brinks mechanical timer does seem to be keeping good time. Rotates at about hafe speed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: