:(((

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jetblack2004, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I'm very sad..... The Fox killed three of my chickens! Horrid Fox!

Rest in peace:

Harriet
    [​IMG]

Cream

[​IMG]

And

Steve
    [​IMG]

My three very precious hens :(

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sorry for your losses. How did the fox get to them? What action are you taking/have you took to prevent a repeat of this from happening? Sharing the "how's" helps other people to defend against these types of attacks. Thanks.

Ed

3. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I usually put my chickens in early but 2 days ago ( the day the Fox got them ) I was out late so I had to put them in later. As I was getting ready to go out to shut them in there was a terrible shriek so I ran quickly but the Fox had taken Harriet and killed Cream and Steve. I could hear the Fox in our woods. Luckily I was quick enough to stop the Fox from getting Gilbert and Smokey ( My hen and cockerel )

I knew the run they were in wasn't safe any more so I moved the other two into a different run. I'm going to get someone to 'deal' with the Fox.

4. Yoako

Yoako Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    :hugs
    ~ hugs ~

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sorry for your losses[​IMG]

6. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you guys :hugs

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  7. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    That is a very real concern for chicken owners...being their to lock-down the coop in the evening *and* to open it up in the mornings. Sometimes we just can't be all places and the right times. This is a good argument for an automatic door, but they are expensive. Were they in the run or free ranging when the fox attacked. It seems the first line of defense would be a secure run and having the chickens in it when we are absent from the premises. I've thought about this often. It would be nice to let them free range all day, but I think once I get my coop and run set up that they will only free range while I'm outside working or in the evenings after work so that they will naturally be returning to the roost within a couple of hours and while I'm in their presence.

My question probably got lost in my post so I'll repeat it. :) Were they in the closed run or free ranging?

Sorry you had to go through this, but sharing the experience is sure to help others.
    Best wishes,
    Ed

8. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I'm not sure how to say where they were. They weren't free-ranging but they weren't in a super closed up run either. They had a house held off the ground with bricks and a brown fence round them. They were on grass. The fence wasn't fox-proof but I really didn't expect the Fox to come. :/

9. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ok, the chickens were not in a secured area. The first thing that I would do is to secure the coop so that no predator can get inside...this means 1/2" hardware cloth/screen or smaller over all openings...no loose boards or tin that something could squeeze through...no doors left ajar. Raccoons and possums can get through small openings of only a couple of inches. Seal it tight. Make sure the doors can be closed and *locked* with a couple of latches...something that a raccoon can't open...they can open simple latches.

The next thing I would do is to lock the chickens up in the evening when they go to roost and let them out the next morning. This takes time and energy.

Once the coop, which is the last line of defense, is squared away, then start working on the run...making it first predator proof from the bottom and sides from 4-footed predators and hopefully eventually protected from above from feathered predators.

Get them a safe place to roost and go from there. Unfortunately, if their living area isn't secure chickens usually end up being some predators meal or chew toy...they are at the bottom of the food chain.

Creating a safe environment takes work and energy and time...

Best wishes,
    Ed

10. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you for you help, Ed. I will do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by