112 Degrees outside!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Want to say thank you to everyone out there that gave me the advice on how to help my chickens safe & cool during this heat wave. The heat index here is 112 degrees. Thankfully all the precautions are working so far and no heat stroked chickens out there. There was almost a fight over the frozen treats though, so I gave extra.
    Tonight hubby and I are going to get a mister system and a fan for the coop.

And we aren't even in the hottest month of the year yet. Hope they all make it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Two days ago, Hubby and I went got the mister system. We love it. It is so easy to use and set up. We love it so much that next year we are using it in our garden. The chickens don't particularly like the water but they love the wet ground afterward, the ducks too. We also put a box fan on the outside of the large vent window so that the air would get moved around more inside during the day. So far its all working out great. Got 5 eggs today, the most we have ever gotten so far.

3. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Ugh OK weather. Man, I was complaining to my mom about how hot it was here in southwest MO and she kept saying "This isn't NEARLY as bad as OK." I would just roll my eyes. I guess I forgot how hot it gets down there or it's gotten worse. I've been away from OK for several years now. I went down there last weekend to help mom move (why do ppl move when it's so flippin hot??). BOY! I definitely appreciate our weather here! I don't think we've technically hit triple digits yet. Close, but not yet. I'm finally done with broodies. Those are the ones that worry me the most. They all seem to be doin good so far.

Hope your's make it til Sept/Oct. My sis said she was still mowing the yard in some nasty heat last year in November! (She is in McAlester) I hope it's better this year for you guys! [​IMG]

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I just put a fan over some hardware cloth over a round hole in the top of my coop over the roost and on the fan I put a bleach jug full of water that I had frozen. Just hoping the condensation doesn't short out the fan somehow.
    May I ask - where did you get your mister? I haven't had any luck finding one.

5. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I got my mister unit at Lowe's. We went with the starter kit ($36) and added a timer and a PSI regulator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by