Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jordys hens, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Jordys hens

Jordys hens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Australia

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    You could throw a old comforter/ blanket over the roof to soften the blow of the hail. I'm sure they will be fine as long as they are dry tho.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I've never noticed a decrease of eggs after a bad storm. I'm sure they will be fine.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They will be fine. Aslong as they have cover.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    My coop is in the barn, which has a metal roof. Hail is LOUD in there and thunder echos. My chickens have been fine. I remember being so worried when I first got my chickens and had just put my youngins in out in the coop because we had a hum-dinger of a storm like you describe. They were 5ish weeks old and they were just fine. They have since endured so much worse!

1 person likes this.
  6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Chickens are not people.They do not scare by a storm,unless stuck outside in it,noone likes being wet.

7. masmom

masmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2016
    East TN Mountains
    X2

8. Jordys hens

Sep 27, 2012
    Australia
    I beg to differ. Chickens do get stressed, and loud noise and intensive conditions can induce that stress.
    I've owned chooks for 7 years, and I know when a chicken is distressed. They were shaking, breathing hard, and making extreme amounts of noise.
    I only posted this to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to why they are so stressed during a storm, or how to rectify the situation.
    If you are unable to be helpful, why bother replying?
    P.S - My chooks didn't lay for 3 days after the storm, so it's evident they were in fact frightened.

9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    They do get stressed,but usually not from a storm.I have had young chicks outside when it storms and they just huddle up and mind their business.Unusaul for chicken to get stressed over a storm.

10. Jordys hens

Sep 27, 2012
    Australia
    Chickens, although are not humans, are similar to humans in which they all harbor unique personalities and triggers. What may not frighten 99% of chickens, may distress the remaining 1%.
    It was a nasty storm. Not just heavy rain - it was loud thunder, lightening, extreme hail, and atrocious wind. It frightened my girls immensely. It doesn't matter if that's unusual, it happened, and I was simply seeking assistance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by