.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jordys hens, Apr 24, 2017.

  1. Jordys hens

    Jordys hens Out Of The Brooder

    20
    1
    26
    Sep 27, 2012
    Australia
    .
     
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. eggbert420

    eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,152
    370
    196
    Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    You could throw a old comforter/ blanket over the roof to soften the blow of the hail. I'm sure they will be fine as long as they are dry tho.
     
    1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenMammX4

    ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,041
    230
    151
    Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I've never noticed a decrease of eggs after a bad storm. I'm sure they will be fine.
     
  4. MasterOfClucker

    MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,447
    505
    221
    Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They will be fine. Aslong as they have cover.
     
    1 person likes this.
  5. Kyanite

    Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

    433
    113
    126
    May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    My coop is in the barn, which has a metal roof. Hail is LOUD in there and thunder echos. My chickens have been fine. I remember being so worried when I first got my chickens and had just put my youngins in out in the coop because we had a hum-dinger of a storm like you describe. They were 5ish weeks old and they were just fine. They have since endured so much worse!
     
    1 person likes this.
  6. TheTwoRoos

    TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,419
    203
    171
    Sep 25, 2015
    Chickens are not people.They do not scare by a storm,unless stuck outside in it,noone likes being wet.
     
  7. masmom

    masmom Chillin' With My Peeps

    55
    37
    56
    Nov 6, 2016
    East TN Mountains
    X2
     
  8. Jordys hens

    Jordys hens Out Of The Brooder

    20
    1
    26
    Sep 27, 2012
    Australia
    I beg to differ. Chickens do get stressed, and loud noise and intensive conditions can induce that stress.
    I've owned chooks for 7 years, and I know when a chicken is distressed. They were shaking, breathing hard, and making extreme amounts of noise.
    I only posted this to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to why they are so stressed during a storm, or how to rectify the situation.
    If you are unable to be helpful, why bother replying?
    P.S - My chooks didn't lay for 3 days after the storm, so it's evident they were in fact frightened.
     
  9. TheTwoRoos

    TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,419
    203
    171
    Sep 25, 2015
    They do get stressed,but usually not from a storm.I have had young chicks outside when it storms and they just huddle up and mind their business.Unusaul for chicken to get stressed over a storm.
     
  10. Jordys hens

    Jordys hens Out Of The Brooder

    20
    1
    26
    Sep 27, 2012
    Australia
    Chickens, although are not humans, are similar to humans in which they all harbor unique personalities and triggers. What may not frighten 99% of chickens, may distress the remaining 1%.
    It was a nasty storm. Not just heavy rain - it was loud thunder, lightening, extreme hail, and atrocious wind. It frightened my girls immensely. It doesn't matter if that's unusual, it happened, and I was simply seeking assistance.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by