1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11wk Buff Orpington sickle feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AliceSaurus, Jun 15, 2014.

1. AliceSaurus

AliceSaurus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Question for buff orpington owners: This is my 11 week old "girl" going through her second juvenile molt and the tail feathers are making me think she may be a rooster. Her comb and wattles are a bit bigger and redder than the other's but not enough to be a giveaway. The hackles don't look pointy to me but I'm new at this. So do you all think "she" is just having a molt and will grow more tail feathers? Or are those very obviously sickle feathers? When she fanned out her tail earlier it looked more like a hen's does but I'm still confused. I will probably be guessing til I hear a crow or see an egg. Is it normal for roosters to make sort of regular sounds before trying to crow? Because I definitely heard and saw this one making noise the other day but it wasn't a crow at all. I haven't noticed any rooster behaviors, but that tail is crazy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AmishThunder

AmishThunder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    Panama City, Fl
    They make very strange noises when they are first learning to crow - squeaks and groans and gurgles and burps ect. Sometimes hens will crow if there is no rooster around. The tail feathers look like a rooster but I cant tell with the hackle feathers. Lift up the feathers on its back and look for shiny, pointy saddle feathers coming in. If it has those then I would say its a rooster.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That bird look like a pullet to me.

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

X2 pullet!

5. AliceSaurus

Apr 16, 2014
    Thank you! I have always felt she is a pullet, too, until those long feathers showed up. I'm optimistic she'll feather out nicely and just be a big girl :)

6. Kasey

Kasey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    Looks pretty pullety to me!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Pullet for now, but I am not 100% sure.

8. AliceSaurus

Apr 16, 2014
    Here's the same bird at 21 weeks old... looking like a rooster but acting like a hen :/

[​IMG]

9. tunes

tunes New Egg

Jul 27, 2015
    Just curious.....hen or roo? I've been obsessively reading these threads trying to find out if my "girls" are really girls or not. :)

10. MariskaKilian

MariskaKilian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2015
    I'm also saying Hen on those first picks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by