12-13 week old hens seem to be fighting when they are let out first thing in the morning is this nor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TammyDolloff, Jun 10, 2016.

1. TammyDolloff

TammyDolloff New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    When I let my girls out of the morning I always make sure they have food and water before I let them out of their coop. They eat for a little bit and then they'll start puffing up their chest and chest bumping each other lowering their heads and chasing each other jumping on each other's backs I don't know if this is normal play fighting or if it's actual aggression. They remind me of roosters fighting. I have 17 birds in total 3 are Rhode Island Reds the rest are Plymouth rocks just wondering if this is normal behavior if they're just playing or if it's something I should be concerned about

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Some of my younger girls do it occasionally - I'd say its nothing to worry about

CT

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Rhode Island Reds are known to be more aggressive.
    Are they the bossy birds?
    I sold all my Red hens because they only seem to like other Red hens.

4. TammyDolloff

TammyDolloff New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    No they are all bossy lol. Reds to Reds and Rocks. And Rocks to Rocks and Reds. They dont descriminiate.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Glad that is working for you. My Reds plucked my two Barred rocks bald and beat everyone up.
    No reds in my flock anymore.

Enjoy your birds.

6. TammyDolloff

TammyDolloff New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Oh wow. Well Im selling 11 of my Rocks. That will leave me 3 rocks and 3 reds. And um getting 3 whites. Im hoping cutting numbers will help

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    This has nothing to do with the breed,their young still,chicks fight to figure out who goes where in the "Pecking Order".

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I honestly see no reason to sell the others unless your having trouble feeding them,no enough space.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    BUT,Rhode island reds are an aggressive breeds (I had two sisters who stuck as one),they were like manipulators. They turned our flock into little devils,the sweet ones then had to defend themselves,and had to fight.The reds got along well.It was ridiculous. They beat on each other to the bare skin,and blood.

10. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Most chickens fight like that,roosters are not the only was who just flare their manes,and fight like that,hens do too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by