12-14 week old EE Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newchicks13, Apr 11, 2011.

1. newchicks13

newchicks13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Any guesses If my EE "hen" is a Rooster? I'm thinking that she is a he... but this little one hasn't started to crow yet. S/he is showing the dominant behavioral signs of a roo. S/he has also developed some iridescent tail feathers. Hmmm.... Just looking for a few opinions. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I'm saying it's a she, she's gorgeous, and she dosen't have a big comb!

ETA: Hens can be very bossy!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I doubt she's a he.

The color pattern is very typical of female EEs. Her comb, while pink, should be red by this stage - and males have more pronounced combs as well. Most all birds that are black, or have black on them, are iridescent.

Her hackles are not particularly shiny in the pictures, either...

Do you have closer pics of the saddle feathers?

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    She looks similar to the EE hen that is in my avatar. [​IMG] Looks like Eggs will be in your future IMO!

5. newchicks13

Jun 2, 2009
    Oh! I'm glad everyone thinks its a hen! Not that I, myself, would mind a rooster... but I live in a town where roos are a no-no. I'm also glad that the small pink comb was noticed. That was the major trait that had me holding on to the hope that it was, in fact, a hen. Here are a couple more pics of the saddle feathers. I hope this doesn't change your minds. [​IMG] Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It's a girlie-girlie [​IMG]

Notice how her saddle feathers are triangular, but NOT really shiny and skinny? Trait of a EE pullet

7. newchicks13

Jun 2, 2009
    Yaaaaaay! That's great. I have become attached and didn't want to find her a new home. Thanks!! [​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:You're welcome. Im happy for you - it's rare that you come in, thinking you have a roo, and find out it's a girl! [​IMG]

9. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    It's a girl ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by