12:15 a.m. My husband still working on coop! UPDATE w/ pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jtbrown, May 2, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Due to rain, family emergencies, and life, our coop was not done when we expected, but finally got roof on this weekend. So now taking 1/3 of 12x24 shed (will be bantam coop in future) and sectioning it off so we can get nearly 6 week old standards out of our workshop. My husband rocks, he has to be at work at 7!!!! But, he is going on 4 wheeling weekend with friends this weekend and won't be able to work on it. I told him i could do the rest while he is gone, I think that is what scares him! We are both surprised how it seemed that one day, the birds are fine in brooder, the next are busting at seams and need more space.

I will be able to get 10 standards out there tomorrow on my day off. Whew, they are stinky in their ever shrinking brooder. Just so you don't think I am sitting around eating Bon bons while he works his hiney off, I was out there with our 4 and 5 year olds until 10 tonight helping, hanging chicken wire on eaves temporarily as well as other stuff, but they needed to get in bed and I can't leave them in house alone it is too far to chicken coop, so I was stuck in house. So, this thread is a hat's off to my husband and a thank goodness I can get part of our chicks out of the workshop tomorrow! These chicks were so my dream/idea, I am so lucky he plays along so well. It is a tight shed that we built, I know they will be safe. They will be ok out there all by themselves tomorrow night, right?

He is on way in now, I will tell him I was bragging on him!

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Yep you have a great hubby there! You know that we need pics! We love pics!

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    That's so nice of him!! We have some 6 week EE's that really need to go outside NOW, but hubby keeps putting it off.......... at 7 tonight he said he'd do it "tomorrow" [​IMG] Right now, he's sound asleep on the couch, where he's been since 7:30 [​IMG] What's even worse is that I'm severely allergic to the pine shavings, I know, I know, get aspen, but he bought it, so I've been suffering for the past 2 weeks, just hoping he'd get them moved outside!!! [​IMG] All he needs to do is move the brooder, it's been converted into a coop, but it weighs about 100 pounds, and it needs to go down a hill, and have the run attached to it. Yeah, ok, I'm ranting............. I'm so jealous of your hubby!!! [​IMG]

4. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Morning came very early, as well as an actual deluge! Water everywhere, just not inside the coop. This rain has been amazing, so fortunate to have been spared the tornados so I try not to complain too much! I will post pics later today, but am taking kids and going out to put makeshift roosts in, set up covered area for food and water, hope to have my big babies out there by lunch!!!! I am trying to convince my boys how much fun it will be to spread wood shavings all over floor when I'm done! Will update soon!

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What a guy! [​IMG]

6. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    This thread sucks without pictures!!!! [​IMG]

Awesome DH of yours!!

7. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    The rain has not stopped, I am soaked, my feet are wet. BUT MY CHICKENS ARE IN THE CHICKEN COOP!!! Below are pictures. I know I need windows, ventilation, after I get cleaned up, going to go to our local window guy who has 4 windows, 30 x 48 that have ability to open that they have removed and were going to get aluminum scrap out of them, he is saving them for me for 10 bucks a piece. I am going to see what they look like and maybe get those. We also left eaves open and I put chicken wire up so there is "upper" ventilation now. It feels cold in the coop, 40 degrees and raining outside, but I put the heat lamp on the roosts.
    Coop from the driveway of our house
    [​IMG]

The open area we need to get the last two piece of T111 board up this evening (we ran short), but could still finish the one end of the coop to get our little ones rehomed into the coop today.
    [​IMG]

Here is the feed station, I still need to hang the feeder/waterer. How do those chickens look so small here when they were so big inside the basement?
    [​IMG]
    And, my oldest holding one of his favorites ( a rooster I think) in front of the roosts. He has bribed them with all the worms that have surfaced with this rain. I think they will always love him for that! My youngest is hiding in the house, it's too cold he says.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, I can't wait for DH to see the chicks in their new temporary home. We have 25 EE in the brooder less than a week old that we will put in with these guys in the other 2/3 of the coop in a couple of months, and 8 bantums that are the same age as the big group, but I cannot put them together yet, they look like 2 week old chicks still. This temporary shelter will get windows, insulation and some kind of paneling before it is considered complete (and a make over of feed station and roosts and then the bantums will go here. Did I mention we are still formulating the run. . . .Whew, I think we deserve a rest tonight!

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Such a nice job!!!!

9. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] nice job,thanks for sharing pics..... [​IMG]

10. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Oooo I'm so totally jealous. What a beautiful coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by