12.5 weeks old. Pullet? Also what breed does she seem like?

sararoni

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
chicago

She is a Red Sex Link hen. RSLs are egg laying machines. :eek:)
Michael, on my monitor, those back feathers appear blue. If they aren't, then definitely a Red Sex Link, but...enlarge those pics and look closely and tell me, ok?
She looks like the cross I made of a blue Orpington with my flaming red RIR/, Buff Orp hen, though I don't see that shape body on this bird. They ended up with red bodies, blue underfluff and blue in the tail, some blue ticking on the head.

Last edited:
She was sold to my friend when a few days old as blue laced red wyandotte.
He bought 6 chicks but 2 of them have been different from the start.
I thought this one is a roo because the body is very bony and slim not like the wyandottes.
There is blue in her back feathers so maybe one of the parents was a blue wyandotte but she inherited everything else from another breed I think.

Michael, on my monitor, those back feathers appear blue. If they aren't, then definitely a Red Sex Link, but...enlarge those pics and look closely and tell me, ok?
She looks like the cross I made of a blue Orpington with my flaming red RIR/, Buff Orp hen, though I don't see that shape body on this bird. They ended up with red bodies, blue underfluff and blue in the tail, some blue ticking on the head.

My friend told me that as babies They looked like chipmunk with a V shape on their head. Growing up they developed the salmon color feathers.

My friend told me that as babies They looked like chipmunk with a V shape on their head. Growing up they developed the salmon color feathers.
That would make sense because a BLRW does look like that as a chick. I have a red hen with blue underfluff who was sired by a BLRW rooster over Blue Ameraucana hen and she looked almost identical to a BLRW chick herself.

She looks like the cross I made of a blue Orpington with my flaming red RIR/, Buff Orp hen, though I don't see that shape body on this bird. They ended up with red bodies, blue underfluff and blue in the tail, some blue ticking on the head.

Interesting,I didn't see those feathers until I blew up the picture. Otherwise, she looked so much like a RSL that I only took a glance at her the first time. She is definitely a hen though, and a mixed breed of some kind.

Interesting,I didn't see those feathers until I blew up the picture. Otherwise, she looked so much like a RSL that I only took a glance at her the first time. She is definitely a hen though, and a mixed breed of some kind.
I figured you had not blown up the photo and I almost missed it myself. I'd also say a cross of two colors, certainly. I've had so many gorgeous red and blue roosters and hens come from my Blue Orp with my big red hen, Meg, both of whom are no longer with me, so maybe that's why it caught my eye.

I figured you had not blown up the photo and I almost missed it myself. I'd also say a cross of two colors, certainly. I've had so many gorgeous red and blue roosters and hens come from my Blue Orp with my big red hen, Meg, both of whom are no longer with me, so maybe that's why it caught my eye.

Thanks for catching that and pointing it out. :eek:) I'm certainly far from infallible when it comes to identifying breed and gender, but I'd like to be as accurate as possible.

Back
Top Bottom