12.5wks old

SamNZ

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2021
Hi, we got 4 orprington chicks for a broody hen. They are now 12.5weeks old. The white one is a cockerel, and has crowed. The light grey one I'd definitely call as a pullet. It's the 2 darker grey ones which are despite the redness of their wattles there is division in our house whether we have more cockerels (which I think we do) however
20210130_172143.jpg
20210130_172217.jpg
20210130_171443.jpg
20210130_172407.jpg
20210130_171439.jpg
20210130_171333.jpg
leg size between the light grey and dark grey arent much different, but the colouring appearing on the feathers is happening to the def cockerel and dark grey. At the moment everything is chilled between them all, including with our originals hens but am concerned that might change at any time if we have more than one cockerel and so would appreciate others thoughts

At 12 and a half weeks those two questionable birds are looking more cockerel-ish. That would be very early for a pullet to be sporting such large wattles and comb, especially in such a slow maturing breed.

Lift up the feathers where their back meets their tail and see if you can see any very skinny/narrow feathers that end in a definite point starting to grow. Those would be the beginnings of saddle feathers which are only found on roosters.

Leg thickness doesn't work with Orpingtons. One of our girls has legs like tree trunks. 🤣

I'll look up those, thanks, interesting as had just asked hubby if thats what he'd definitely been told - I wasn't happy with the place when we picked them up, but wanted to get some chicks asap as mama hen would not stop being broody and this place advertised that day.

Saddle feathers are a great indicator of a male. They're pointy feathers just before the tail as JaeG described. I had a sneaky cockerel orpington who didnt crow til 17 weeks. Even then I was in denial & didnt believe it could be a boy (all female my foot!). Google saddle feathers on a rooster and you'll see many examples of what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom