12 Assorted Bantoms Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigjimschicks, Jun 26, 2016.

1. bigjimschicks

bigjimschicks New Egg

Jun 26, 2016
    Massachusetts
    New to raising chicks. I love it!!! I hand made a two floor brooder, We live in mass it has been 78 during the day 60 at night. Our "mother" of the group, she wuickly establised pecking order, died overnight! I am so devastated! I cleaned the coop seperated 6 and 6 on each floor. They go outside in their coop during the day a few hours, not on grass yet? No bloody stool, she was fine before i went to sleep? All the otjers seem fine! I cleaned all their feet the cage added extra food a perch? Could it be she was trampled? Or does not have enough room? Should i make a temporary outdoor place for them until the master coup is done?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old are the chicks and what is the size of your brooder? Maybe they all pooled together on the first floor and possibly smothered her. Most times when a chick or grown chicken dies, there is no way to explain it. Living things die, that is the difficult part of raising them. I am sorry for your loss.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I agree with DD - sometimes these things happen. Sorry.

CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. How old are your chicks? How big is your brooder? Drumstick has left you some good suggestions as to what could have happened.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your other chicks and enjoy BYC :frow

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by