1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12+ B/B/S (mostly)-English Orps

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by slackwater, Mar 9, 2014.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I must admit, I'm a sucker for fluffy, blue chickens - and these blue/black/splash (B/B/S) part-English orps are a huge favorite of mine. Now, they're part-English for a reason - I need my chickens to be at least somewhat practical, so I have *some* American orp blood in the flock so that the birds are a *bit* lighter bodied, and therefore don't have as many issues with fertility and laying rates as their full-English counterparts. In actuality, the birds range from 50% to 100% English, with the gentleman being 75% (blue) and 100% (black) - so you will get very-English chicks at not-very-English chick prices. Perfect for fellow backyard hobbyists who want BEAUTIFUL birds that are also inherently practical.

In this sale, you will get 12+ fertile hatching eggs, carefully packaged and shipped via USPS. My feedback speaks to my ability to wrap eggs so that they arrive safely intact. However, as with all sales of shipped hatching eggs, I *cannot* guarantee your hatch rate! Factors such as temperature extremes, rough handling and x-raying the package can significantly impact your potential hatch rate - before the eggs are even delivered! If you want a guaranteed number of chicks, I recommend that you consider purchasing chicks directly.

Shipping is $14 - for a total of $50.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. farmgal12

farmgal12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Do you sell chicks then?
    How much?

Thanks

3. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Quote:Hello! I do sell chicks on an as-ordered basis (I don't regularly have chicks hatching all the time). They are $7.50/each, plus actual cost of shipping (box is $14 + express/overnight shipping costs).

4. farmgal12

Apr 6, 2014
    any clue about what the shipping runs?
    i am in california if that helps 95695
    just a range or est is fine so i an figure out some #s
    thanks

5. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Quote:Hello! Express shipping is typically $15 to $40 (in your case, $40), and Priority is typically $10 to $20 (in your case, $20). Most sellers prefer to ship Express, but I find that both methods typically take 2 days for all but the most remote locations. The biggest difference with Express is that it is guaranteed...but I have *received* multiple shipments via Priority and had them all arrive in 2 days.

6. dannyisforreal

dannyisforreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    LOST
    How many eggs does your chickens lay a year?

7. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD

They lay about 4-5x/week Mar-Nov, and about 2x per week during the winter.

8. farmgal12

Apr 6, 2014
    Most of mine lay 6-8 a week during peak times and in off times 4-6.
    However I have found they drastically reduce once they get closer to 3 years of age and that can be cut in half.

9. newfy

newfy New Egg

Sep 12, 2009
    Would you sell less than 12 eggs? My incubator only holds 7.

10. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Yep! I can certainly sell fewer eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by