12 Baby Chicks 5 SWOLLEN EYES/SIDE OF HEAD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shomare, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Shomare

Shomare In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2018
    Colorado
    We bought chicks of various breeds around Easter.

Problem:

One's eye was shut, and swollen all around it
    (6-7 days ago now). We thought it was pecked or something, as there were no other signs we noticed wrong with it (eats, drinks, moves around fine, good balance, very active when washing out eye, chirping, etc).

Tonight was alarming...it is not a peck injury, but some infection I believe. We now have 4 of 12 chicks with eye swelling, the other 3 are in an early stage where it isn't shutting their eyes, nor swelling their heads as much, but there is definitely swelling, and minor shutting coming on!!!

How do we quarantine, treat, etc, all of them, and what to do with the ones that are ok, just leave them until they get sick? What is the best treatment to use for this kind of thing?

Our current protocol:

We are using something my wife bought, but it is slow acting obviously at 6-7 days later now, with improvement (eye is half open now, but only open to that point about 50% of the time, otherwise it is shut), but not enough for my taste. We quarantined the bird immediately 6-7 days ago, so I suspect whatever this is is airborne since the others caught it while not around that baby chick, and days later? Just a guess. We now have 4 total in quarantine away from the rest, and we want to change the protocol to something new, maybe more aggressive to get them healthy again.

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I believe there are antibiotic eye drops and gels you can use, but unfortunately don’t know the details. If you search the forums, I think you can find it. You can also use a warm, damp compress to make them more comfortable, I believe.

3. Shomare

Shomare In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2018
    Colorado
    The antibiotic and eye drops helped our chickens perfectly. Thank you for your help!

micstrachan likes this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Yay! I’m so glad to hear that. :wee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: