12 Day old Barred Rock problem. Nubee HELP.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mjhaman, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mjhaman

mjhaman New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    Heber Valley, Utah
    I am brand new to chicken keeping but have lurked around here quite a bit. I have a chick that is constantly getting pecked by the other chicks (One chick in particular seems to do it the most however.) The one getting pecked is one I noticed to have some fecal matter on her tail-end that I cleaned off and the problem went away. (No more cling-ons’ since then.) The chick seems to just get pecked on each side of her neck. It happens a lot when they are feeding; the “dominant” chick will circle around the feeder sometimes bumping the other chicks out of the way so they can’t eat. They come right back and continue eating and just move away when she makes her loop again. When the pecked on chick is eating the dominant chick will park right next to her and just peck away at her neck as she eats. I don’t see much redness if any but her feathers are very thinned out on both sides of her neck. She eats and drinks well and otherwise “acts” healthy and normal. I read in a care sheet I received with the chicks that if this is a problem that I could use some menthol ointment on the area to keep the others from pecking…? I bought some and applied it to both sides of her neck but not sure if it’s helping any. She will preen herself after I put it on so I’m concerned about her “eating” the ointment.
    I only have 5 chicks and they have plenty of light, heat, and room in and around the feeder. Help.

2. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    This is normal. its called the "Pecking Order" she must be last. I have a chicken who is constently pecked. it could be something else. good luck with ur new chicks [​IMG]

3. mjhaman

mjhaman New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    Heber Valley, Utah
    WOW! Thank you Afrochicken for the quick reply! So, stop using the menthol, keep a watchful eye out for any injury, and quit worring so much about my new "kids"? [​IMG]

4. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    im still a newbie myself, so just do a bit more research just to check if it is something serious, good luck! [​IMG] im pretty sure its just the pecking order though

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Be careful using aromatic ointments on birds-that can be fatal. If they are plucking feathers, just be sure the protein content of the food is at least 18% -24%.

6. mjhaman

mjhaman New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    Heber Valley, Utah
    Thanks for the replies! So it sounds like I should just let them work it out and just keep an eye out for injury...I'll not use the menthol any more as well. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by