12 days in... Nervous and frustrated!! Need someone who can help me!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Okay, I have 10 eggs as of yesterday. First 3 laid 6/7/11 then the rest every day to every other day.... Can't be sure but I believe one of them wiggled... FYI they are button eggs. Can't candle them, don't know what to do to see if they are growing!!! DX
    Haven't seen movement today.. Raised the humidity. Also one of the eggs is super tiny, and another has discoloration....
    [​IMG]
    Top left is the teeny one, and you can obviously see the discoloration in the one on the right... What can I do to check them?! How do I know if all is well with my little egglets..

2. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    u can candle them but ur gonna need one heck of a bright flashlight
    over 200 lumen's

mine i just throw in and wait

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I am just so nervous LOL

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    a few things.... i don"t mark my quail eggs with any kind. but if you must i would use pencil instead of marker. it's not a sure thing that they are "tainted" by any means but it's a reason to eliminate all reason for exuses on "what happened with my clutch" second i also don't like to use the foam or plastic eggs cartons in the incubators. buy turner trays or if short on money use the paper ones if you must use the ones you are at least cut small holes in the bottom so the egg can "breathe" all the way around. again these are just things to eliminate that question you ask yourself if your clutch never hatches. as long as your eggs are from solid mature birds. your temp and hum. was all correct without any major fluctuations those eggs should be wiggling then and starting to crack however if it goes wrong look back on what you did and maybe try and do it a bit different. it is exiting and i hope the best comes out of this one for you. GL![​IMG]

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    im sorry. they are the cardboard/paper type egg cartons you have** i like to cut small holes in the bottoms of those..

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ACTUALLY THEY DO FINE WITHOUT HOLES. I USE THEM EXCLUSIVELY WITH THOUSANDS OF EGGS HATCHED EACH YEAR... THEY WORK FINE AS IS [​IMG]

7. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well, I didn't realize since this is my first hatch not to use marker.. The cardboard-ish thing I am using is from costco eggs haha.... Was too worried about them being on a grate. Did the scratch/tap test last night to see if I could hear any peeping, no peepers, but tons of wiggling!!!

8. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Oooh...are we not supposed to use markers?? I used permanent markers on all the eggs both times I incubated.... Poor hatch first time, none second. I realize there were many other variables, for ME, but now I am wondering...Definitively, should you not mark with a marker on these eggs?!?! [​IMG]

-Jessa

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Oooh...are we not supposed to use markers?? I used permanent markers on all the eggs both times I incubated.... Poor hatch first time, none second. I realize there were many other variables, for ME, but now I am wondering...Definitively, should you not mark with a marker on these eggs?!?! [​IMG]

-Jessa

Well the person above, snyd08 says it could taint them.. They seem fine, I hope I have a good hatch in a few day![​IMG]

10. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would not use a marker either. Eggs are porous and it may leach inside. Use pencil as suggested by previous poster. Don't get too upset though, with lots of wiggling you should have some hatch. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by