1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12+ Heritage SQ RI Red Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by luckypickens, Jan 11, 2011.

1. luckypickens

luckypickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    Our Heritage RI Reds are a beautiful deep dark mahogany red. They are a show strain that has been raised and shown for over 50 years by the Ryan Family in Arkansas and have won numerous Blue Ribbons and Best of Show at our county and state fair. They lay nice size brown eggs and make great fryers or baking hens too! Very sweet gentle birds, we've never had a mean rooster in all the years of raising them. They range well and are very hardy in the winter too. They are defiantly a year round winner in my flock! Most that we have laying now are pullets that just started laying in October, so eggs are a little smaller than normal, but will get bigger as they get into full lay. We have 3 roosters with 25 hens and have had great fertility and hatch rate to date.

All birds on our farm are blood tested Pullorum/Typhoid clean. We see that our birds are kept happy and healthy by giving them the best feed and TLC daily! Our Heritage RI Reds get to free range while our purebred bantams are kept in individual breeding pens away from predators. We feed a high quality, high protein all natural game bird breeder pellet with vitamins and minerals in the water daily to insure high fertility. We also feed a little scratch grains, Calf Manna and veggie treats from the garden daily. We LOVE spoiling our birds and it shows!

Chicken raisin' is all we do so I assure you we gather often to keep the eggs from getting to hot or to cold to stay fresh and fertile for you. Our hatching eggs we send out are no more than three days old. They are turned three times a day and stored in a temperature controlled room to assure you the best possible hatch. Eggs are usually fairly clean, but may contain occasional soiling. I do not wash eggs but will brush of excess soiling if present. Washing can contaminate the eggs and may decrease hatch rate. Eggs are wrapped individually in paper towels and bubble wrap then wrapped in an egg carton that is then nestled and secured in crumpled newspaper and box is clearly marked FRAGILE-DO NOT FREEZE. I have found if I don't put Hatching Eggs on the box they get treated better also, but will gladly mark them that way if you so want. I've had very good success shipping this way. We have had an excellent hatch rate on our farm ourselves this year as well as with our shipped eggs. However, we cannot guarantee your hatch rate due to circumstances out of our control. Rough postal handling and incubator mishaps will make perfectly fertile eggs not develop or hatch. Purchasing shipped hatching eggs is a risk. Please be understanding and know this when purchasing hatching eggs.
    When your eggs arrive carefully unwrap them and store them pointy end down at room temperature for 12-24 hours to help the air cell settle from shipping.

We ship eggs on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Saturdays. We prefer not to ship eggs out on Thursday or Fridays in order to help prevent the possibility of your eggs sitting an additional night somewhere in the mail system. Eggs are shipped as soon as payment is made unless you contact me with a shipping date you prefer.

If you don't want the eggs at the time bidding is over, no problem!!!

WE WILL SHIP YOUR EGGS ON THE DAY YOU CHOOSE!!!

Just let us know the date you want shipped when you send payment. We are always happy to work with you on a shipping date.

Pictures of all our birds can be seen on our website below. Thank you for looking!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Do you have a photo of the rooster?

3. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Is the starting bid per egg or 12+?

4. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    No the starting bid is for the 12+ started low since this is the first time I have listed eggs on here and no one knows me yet. My birds are really nice sq been selling them a while on ebay and craigslist and everyone loves them. Thought I would try selling some here since some have asked for them, they are really nice layers also. Usually show strains don't lay that well but I have been improving on them the last few year. Most laying now are pullets which started laying in Oct so eggs are between med and large, but getting bigger. My strain is really sweet birds also, never had a mean rooster in all my years and the girls you end up having to watch or you will walk all over them, they love attention!

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  6. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few more. Need to dig out some more show photos when I get time, but I found a few with my grand daughters showing their cockerels. Hope these help give you some idea of the color. My birds came from the Ryan family who lived near Blue Mountain, Ar they had been raising and showing them for over 50 years. 13 years ago I got 2 roosters and a few hens from George and started raising and showing them. Then a few years later George passed away with cancer and his sister Grace gave me all his birds to continue raising and showing them. George and I were both superintendents of poultry at Yell County Fair where I am still continuing today, but the Ryan family have been showing this strain at the Arkansas State Fair for a long time and there is still to this day a special award given out in their name in the poultry department. I have won numerous Best of Shows with them at Yell County Fair, but I have yet to get to show any of them at the State Fair always to busy. I have sold many to 4-H kids and they have been doing very well with them though. My goal is to finally make it to state fair this year though. One thing I have been wanting to do for some time now. Anyway I wish I could tell you more about them, but I assure you will love them if you saw them, everyone does. They truely are beautiful birds and all the judges who have seen them love them also! The eggs I am selling are from pullets which just started to lay in Sept and Oct. They are between med-lrg and getting bigger as they get older. I have 24 hens and get on an average around 18 eggs a day so I don't feel that is to bad because usually show strains don't lay very well at all. For the last few years though I have been breeding the best laying hens to roosters from the best laying hens and have finally gotten the egg numbers up, but still kept the standards of the birds as well. This year I hope to add a new bloodline to them as well. I hope this answers your question about them. I love them they are just the sweetest birds.

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    are those white feathers on the roo. my rir dont have any white feathers

8. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    No that is the light playing on his feathers, I can guarantee you their are no white feathers on any of my RI Reds! They are the only large fowl I raise, I raise a few bantam breeds but none run with my reds, they are all in separate breeding pens.

9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    Quote:shame on me i see the sunlight in the pen. please for give me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by