12 inch high trap big enough for fox????

daisychick

Incubator Tetris Master Consultant
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Colorado
Is a 12 inch high live trap big enough to get a fox??? Or are they too smart to go in something that small??

Probably too small. I think foxes are pretty tricky to trap too. I always shoot them out here but I know that isn't for everyone. I think I remember hearing some old guys talking about leg hold traps (which are now illegal most places) and that foxes would actually chew their own leg off to get away. So I don't know what to tell you about getting rid of them. Have you tried to call animal control?

in my experience, foxes are almost impossible to get into cages. I'm currently using some that are 50"x 36"x 36".
legholds work VERY well if someone who knows what they are doing sets them. but there is a huge liability in using these are incidental catches are very common. if a trap isn't checked every 24 hours, that is just inhumane and gives trappers/trapping a very bad reputation. there's a huge responsibility that comes with trapping any animal

They're too smart for box traps.Leg holds are best # 1 1/2. And really should be checked morning and night.When an animal chews his own foot off that usually means the trapper didn't put enough swivels in the chain.(bad trapping) Will

the animal will start chewing when the foot goes numb. at that point they cannot decipher between the trap and their foot. so they chew trying to break the thing that's holding them.
for this reason I use offset jaw traps or softcatch (rubber jaw). these allow the blood flow to the foot to continue and thusly the foot will not go numb nearly as quickly. we have a 24 hr check law here, but in a nuisance job it's best to check twice as Will stated. So yes, many swivels, offset or rubber jaws and ANCHOR SECURELY. the last thing you need is an animal to pull the trap and be running around with the mechanism on it's foot. I say if you have not trapped, get someone who knows what they are doing, do not just get a trap and throw it out there.
i personally use 1.75 4 coiled offset jaws as these will also hold a random coyote with no issue whatsoever and cross stake everything.

Sorry no leg hold traps here and I can't use those here anyway. I just have a live trap that is a little over 12inches high. I was hoping it would work.
hmm.png

ok I will try that bait approach. We are in a rural area but with houses and neighbors animals all over the area, so shooting the thing is near impossible without the perfect shot! So I am trying this trapping route.

Back
Top Bottom