12 Marans (FBCM) AND 12 Olive Eggers - HALF PRICE!! BIN!!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Wynette, May 24, 2010.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm pricing this auction for half what I usually charge for both sets of eggs - the auction includes 24 eggs (and maybe a few extras).

I have added an additional, young rooster to my breed pen, and due to he and my original rooster spending lots of time deciding who is alpha, I'm unsure if fertility is running 100%; however, all eggs I have checked have been fertile.

My Marans rooster is pure Davis, over pure W. Jeane and mix hens. They lay extremely nice/dark eggs at the beginning of their lay cycle, but they have lightened up a bit. I will include a shell from when they are laying their darkest so that you can see what to expect when your pullets begin to lay. None of my stock have: mossiness, squirrel tail (although in the auction pic, the wind is blowing from behind so it "appears" he's squirrel-tailed - I assure you, he is not), or side sprigs in combs. I breed and cull to the proposed standard. I've gotten some really good feedback on egg color, even after it has begun to fade a bit - I'm really proud of where my flock is, and I'll continue working to improve it.

For olive eggers, I use three blue EE girls: two are parented by my Marans rooster and a silver-colored EE; the third is parented by my Marans roo and a wheaten Penedesenca X Blue Ameraucana. All are among my very best layers, and all lay a medium olive egg - bred back to my Marans rooster, the offspring should lay a VERY dark olive. The olive eggers hatch black, blue, and sometimes black with copper hackles much like a Marans pullet, but most of them have been black or blue.

Here are some Marans pics:

Rooster - Big Duke:

[​IMG]

Hen (she doesn't have any white ticking in her feathers - she's splashed with mud):

[​IMG]

Eggs at their darkest (pic taken without flash) - eggs have lightened up, as my hens have been laying since February - I will include a shell sample of when they were laying darker for your reference:

[​IMG]

Here is Princess, one of my olive eggers girls:

[​IMG]

Payment due immediately upon auction's end - eggs to ship tomorrow (Tuesday) by noon.

2. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Can you include pics of your OE's eggs?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    cook, this auction has been sold, but for reference:

[​IMG]

The medium olive is what the hatching eggs look like, and the pullets out of them lay a dark olive like the egg at the top of the pic (that's a silver penciled rock egg for reference).

PM me if you're interested in purchasing some!

4. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Wow! Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by