*** 12++ Old Type Heritage RI Red Hatching Eggs ***

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by luckypickens, Oct 20, 2011.

1. luckypickens

luckypickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    For your consideration are 12+ fertile hatching eggs from our heritage RI Red pen. These are my favorite of all the big breeds and are a beautiful deep dark mahogany red. They are a show strain that has been raised and shown for over 50 years by the George Ryan Family in Arkansas and have won numerous Blue Ribbons and Best of Show at our county and state fair by them and myself. I know if you raise some they will be a winner for you as well. These are the true old type strain that have the pearl with rusty lacing on the legs. The standard now calls for yellow legs but I have never had any judge knock them down yet since they are a true old strain and all the judges just love them. They lay nice size brown eggs and make great fryers or baking hens too! Very sweet gentle birds, we've never had a mean rooster in all the years of raising them. They range really well and are very hardy in the winter too. They are defiantly a year round winner in my flock! We have 1 rooster with 15 hens and have had great fertility and hatch rate to date. I lost the cockerel in the photo below and am breeding with another that I raised and Bert is correct to RI standard.

All birds on our farm are blood tested Pullorum/Typhoid clean. We see that our birds are kept happy and healthy by giving them the best feed and TLC daily! Our Heritage RI Reds get to free range while our purebred bantams are kept in individual breeding pens away from predators. We feed a high quality, high protein all natural game bird breeder pellet with vitamins and minerals in the water daily to insure high fertility. We also feed a little scratch grains, Calf Manna and veggie treats from the garden daily. We LOVE spoiling our birds and it shows!

Chicken raisin' is all we do so I assure you we gather often to keep the eggs from getting to hot or to cold to stay fresh and fertile for you. Our hatching eggs we send out are no more than three days old. They are turned three times a day and stored in a temperature controlled room to assure you the best possible hatch. Eggs are usually fairly clean, but may contain occasional soiling. I do not wash eggs but will brush of excess soiling if present. Washing can contaminate the eggs and may decrease hatch rate. Eggs are wrapped individually in bubble wrap then nestled in shredded paper in large shipping box, clearly marked FRAGILE. I have found if I don't put Hatching Eggs on the box they get treated better also, but will gladly mark them that way if you so want. I've had very good success shipping this way. We have had an excellent hatch rate on our farm ourselves this year as well as with our shipped eggs. However, we cannot guarantee your hatch rate due to circumstances out of our control. Rough postal handling and incubator mishaps will make perfectly fertile eggs not develop or hatch. Purchasing shipped hatching eggs is a risk. Please be understanding and know this when purchasing hatching eggs.
    When your eggs arrive carefully unwrap them and store them pointy end down at room temperature for 12-24 hours to help the air cell settle from shipping.

We except USPS money orders and paypal. Please pay soon after auction ends so I can ship eggs on Tuesday or Wednesday, but if you want them a different date please let me know at the end of auction for date you want shipped. Everyone has been pleased with the hatch rate they are getting from our eggs. We love our Reds and know you will also.

I have Fibromyalgia and can't work. My chickens are my therapy that keep me going, selling a few hatching eggs and chicks helps me buy feed for my little feathered loved ones, THANK YOU for looking!

Hugs, God Bless and happy hatching from Lucky Pickens Farm!

Roslyn & Gary Pickens
    Raisin' critters & havin' a ball in Danville, AR
    http://community.webshots.com/user/luckypickens
    Paypal address... [email protected]

A few of our reds 10.15.11, some of the lighter ones are older hens and are sun bleached. You can see some darker ones and they are the younger pullets I hatched this spring and just added to pen.
    [​IMG]

Sept 18th my RI Red Pullet took BOS Standard Pullet at Yell County Fair 2011! I had a cockerel that I was going to show also but my peacock killed it just 3 weeks before the show. He was awesome and I know I had a chance at Overall BOS with him! Oh well just wait till next year!
    [​IMG]

Me with all my winnings and my winning RI Red pullet.
    [​IMG]

2010 Yell County Fair Overall Open BOS winning Cockerel, he also took BOS Standard Cockerel. He was killed also by the peacock earlier this year. We have since sold all our peacocks since they didn't get along with my reds!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FEEDBACK

Just got the below email last night 6.8.11 from a gentleman who bought some of my heritage RI Reds a few weeks ago... I have been having good feedback with the hatch rate but THRILLED to hear he had 100% hatch rate. I have been having 98% on the farm and he even beat me OUTSTANDING!!! He told me he hatched them in a turbo fan hovabator and I have the Genesis hovabators.

Just wanted to let you know that the 18 LF RIR eggs you shipped me did ok. 6-7-11 I hatched 18 very lively healthy chicks. I have been in the poultry bus. for 42 yrs. I have never even heard of that kind of hatch from shipped eggs.
    Thank you, Jeff
    - bigun78215

Dear luckypickens,

11 eggs developing wonderfully....thank you so much...will send pictures when they hatch...thanks again...
    - cscheepsma

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Do you have any pictures of the "heritage" type Reds. All I see pictured are production Reds. The male is especially obvious. his tail angle looks to be about 50 degrees, it shouls be 20 degrees, Colour is very light on the females & there's way too much red in their tails. All typical of production Reds.

3. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    Quote:Thank you for looking at my birds and yes the rooster in the photo tail is a bit high but he was excited as I had been taking pictures of him and it made him hold it up even more than the normal carriage. My first reds were from Murray McMurray birds I bought 13 years ago and then was given by George Ryan 2 of his roosters to cross onto them. I bred with them for several years, keeping the best hens like them to add to the pen. I worked with George as poultry superintendent in Yell County and truly loved his birds. When George died his sister Grace gave us all of the last of his birds which were 6 hens and 5 roosters. She knew we would continue to raise and enjoy them, which we have very much. We added them to our line breeding only with his roosters. The original hens we got from George's line were so interbred and mostly bred for show that didn't lay but a few eggs a week. After breeding with his roosters on my original birds they now lay really great year around. We still one of George's original hens left though and we call her Grandma. She is close to 10 years old now and still lays an egg every now and then LOL. Some of the photos are old ones and I have been working on taking a few newer ones. The day I took some was after a rain and they were so dirty and also in the evening which is not the best light and doesn't show really how dark they are. Also some are older hens that are sun bleached, if you could see them up close you could see where some of the newer dark red feathers are coming in. Makes them look two toned red mottled lol! I posted a new photo of our big pen, I just put in 3 young cockerels, 1 which is shown that are all really nice type. I also have another pen that I took some of my older best type hens and adding a young cockerel I just bought that is out of Roy Autry's line. Plans are to breed several from them and then breed them into the other pen. I do agree that they need work on type which I have been working on to improve that since I am disabled and have plenty of time to devote to them now. Since the photos were taken I have culled even more and added some pullets I have hatched and raised that should further improve my line. My goal for next year is to hatch and raise a few to show at the Arkansas state fair again where George and his family showed them for years. I've had several 4-H kids who have been showing them and doing great, but have always been to busy to show any in my name and I plan to fix that in 2012!! Thank you again for looking at them, they are the sweetest birds I have ever raised. My grandmother got me hooked on the reds when I was just a little girl. I sure do miss her, but I know God Bless her sole she has a big old flock of them up in Heaven with her too!

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The fact that you started from McMurry birds explains why they look like production Reds, they are. You may have improved them some by crossing in a better bloodline [sorry, I don't know who George Ryan was] but they're still not true heritage type Reds. They may win prizes at county fairs but they wouldn't win at a show where real Reds were on display.
    I raise Reds, am a judge & I know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you don't really want to take advantage of people's ignorance but it would be nice if you represented your birds more accurately.

5. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    Quote:After the first year of breeding with George Ryan's line with mine I took the best pullets and crossed back to his rooster again. I then culled all the old hens and bred with the F1 hens and been improving on the line ever since. That has been now close to 10 years and 8 since we put his last 6 in with them as well. I knew you were a judge as I read it from the bottom signature line and I am sure you are good at it. I am not misrepresenting them to anyone and by no means would I be dishonest and take advantage of them with anyone either. From what I have read a heritage line is one that can be documented going back over 50 years, which mine does. The Ryan family bred and showed this line and won numerous awards at the Arkansas State Fair and worked to hard to promote showing poultry in our area. There is still a special award given in their name at the state fair every year as well. I am honest and have wrote that they are not to todays standards as they do not have yellow legs either. They have the pearl rusty laced legs which to me I like far better than the yellow legs. They look just like the birds my grandmother raised and I got my love of them by helping her take care of them. I personally don't see how you can totally judge them from just photos as photos can be so deceiving and really not show what the birds truly look like. I understand everyone has their own opinion and do greatly appreciate your time at looking at my birds. I am 54 years old and have never lied or will EVER lie about my birds. I only sell the eggs to buy feed to continue raising them and to share them with others. I am not charging a high outrageous price for them and everyone who has hatched from them have been thrilled with them. I just want to get kids of all ages hooked on poultry like I am. I can not totally put into words how much my birds mean to me. With my Fibromyalgia some days I hurt so bad, but just to walk outside and see my feathered friends is the BEST therapy ever. They take my mind off the pain at least for a little while better than any pain meds I take and for that I am so thankful for them. I don't have insurance so I have plenty of medical bills, money is tight since I can't work. I am trying to get on disability to get some help, which I had hoped I would never have to do. I have always been a very active person and would give anything to go back to work and my active lifestyle again. I have had to give up so much the last few years and I pray that I won't ever have to give up my birds. Again thank you for judging my heritage RI Reds. I love them and I know others will also. Have a blessed week! [​IMG]

6. D&S Farms

D&S Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    phenix city, alabama
    he should look like this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by